uprating dolomite brakes!

rich

hello, could any body help in giving me info on uprating sprint front brakes ,of course I'am looking for the easiest and cheapest method,I've got the grooved disc's and uprated pads from rimmers but still not covinced they willdo the job, had in mind princes four pot calipers ,
anyone know anything about fitting them ??)

As far as I know, Princess 4 pots are quite a straightforward fit, but on the hard side to find any nowadays.

There is a mod involving Sierra discs and callipers that seems to be not at all bad, requires some machining though, which is done by someone in Devon. Not sure if anyone here has done this, it's been quite common in the TDC though.

It's around 100 quid IIRC for the work and bracket to fit the bits, plus the cost of Sierra parts. Trouble is, I think the person who does the work does them in batches, not one offs. Worth looking into though :)

Do as Raider says and speak to Brian Kitley.

However for now try the car with the bits that you have plus braided hoses, new fluid and see how you get on- what about the rears- no point going further at present if they are not too bad.

My GT6 has newish  calipers,braided hoses, green stuff pads, new rear linings, new wheel cylinders and master cylinder- no problem, in fact was outbraking TR's at last years TR Reg. Track Day at Mallory. I suppose I am used to them, but I find the brakes not much worse than those on moderns.

nore will the serria ones withut shaving little off rim, works fine, n there is plenty of strength in the wheels, its what u do if u race them. my wheels are all Xterry V, half of them have been shaved. i also got P 4 pots on my toledo, but got marina tc steels hiding them, they make one hell of a difference
Dave

This is BL we're talking about ! Of course you're right, though - the 2000 brakes would have made much more sense.
Look on the bright side - at least it has discs on the front. If the 16v had been developed a few years earlier; it would have been on Toledo drums all round !

The conversion is not that difficult but you will need a special bracket made up. I have all the details necessary but Jon, who designed it, has changed jobs recently so can't make them up anymore. Any good machine shop will be able to knock these up though.

The Sierra discs are slightly bigger (can't remember the diameter off-hand), the pistons and pads are also bigger. They do give the Sprint brilliant stopping power being that the original brakes were always marginal anyway.

Have a look on my website. I did the Sierra brake conversion on my track Sprint last year.

looked at you're site a few times mart, the more i look the more i get my head round it , just two things puzzle me , first thing is the hub machining (how much,where)and secondly the bracket , who made you'res up for you ,seems that would have to be just right , square to the disc and so.  a bit much for a bricky!

You'll have to make some local enquiries for machining. The guy that machined mine charged £80 but, as I said, he's no longer able to do it. I can provide a plan of the bracket with all necessary measurements & material requirements. Just take the details to a machine shop & ask them how much to knock a pair up.

Martin

Archived