How tight? Rear Hub nut

LouisW

Tightening up the rear hub nut with the handbrake on, but how far do I need to go? I went as tight as I could with a breaker bar, but dont know how tight to actually go? Is there a measurement I can go from rather than a torque driver as I dont have one? 😲

what car isit,
be wary if ona Roto, as they are 40+ years olde.
and can just snap off,mine did whenst on the move.

Me self, just tighten it till its got nee slack, an locktite the nut for good measure.

Cant say aboot Spittys though,
some one will

M

120 lb/ft if I remember correctly 🙂 You can't really do it with anything other than a torque wrench. That is other than hanging a 16.5 kg mass 1m from the nut on a breaker bar (with the bar parallel to the ground) to the point where the system stops tightening - but I think that would be a bit of a faf! 😉

Harry

I am sure it is, but 120 lb/ft is surprising just how tight it is. I was on the limit of how tight I could get the nut to go with a 0.5m torque wrench just as it reached 120.

I would invest in a torque wrench; I am sure you will find a number of uses for it in future when working on the car.

Harry

Quoted from JohnD
120lb/ft?  Pshaw!    Ford hubs (Granada) must be done up to 300lb/ft!
John

My mate told me that his Beetle needed them done to 400!

In all seriousness though, you NEED a torque wrench, and they're not that expensive. Look after them well and they'll last a long time. DO NOT use them as breaker bars or ratchets. That is not what they're for!

Quoted from Hallum
120 lb/ft if I remember correctly 🙂 You can't really do it with anything other than a torque wrench. That is other than hanging a 16.5 kg mass 1m from the nut on a breaker bar (with the bar parallel to the ground) to the point where the system stops tightening - but I think that would be a bit of a faf! 😉

Harry

you could try it the other way around. Find something that weighs about 16kg and lift it. Try to remember how much effort you put into doing that. Put your breaker bar on the nut and lift it until you are putting in the same effort (feel the pain). This is presuming your breaker bar is about 1 meter long.

You should get somewhere near but as Jimbo has already said buy yourself a torque wrench you will be surprised how often you need it and DO NOT lend it to others!!

AndyF