idea for a better front hub design will this work?

fastivab6tg25mr

i was looking at an exploded spitfire front wheel hub diagram and i started thinking... i dont want to risk having the trunion or hub snap at the trunion while doing an 11sec 1/4 mile pass... since im currently obsessed with miata parts i came up with this...

will this work? if you dont think so then why?
has anyone tried this? or has anyone tried something similar?

fastivab6tg25mr,
The upper ball joint is NOT made to carry the spring load, nor is it designed to carry the side load of the lower wishbone. If you want to use a lower ball joint, find one that is already carrying loads similar to those you would apply to it. It is fairly unusual to load a ball joint with a spring load in such a manner that the spring is tending to pull the ball out of the socket. I have seen some Hondas with lower balljoints loaded that way, also Volvo 1800 and 122 had their lower ball joints in tension.
                                                                                                                Best of luck,
                                                                                                                Paul

fastivab6tg25mr,
The Miata joint looks as if it could be made to work. Install it the same way up as Mazda does and make a bracket to hold it to the Triumph wishbone.
                                                                                                             Cheers,
                                                                                                             Paul

cliftyhanger wrote:
Interesting idea. But the difficult bit is going to be the attachment to the vertical link, or have I missed something

Also saw a mention of some modded uprights on a kitcar forum. I may email the poster and ask about them :)

I think he intends to use the Mazda vertical link.

i  do intend on using the mx5 vertical links...  im a yank so i guess i have to learn the lingo of the forum. i call them hubs or steering knuckles. i hope to use the mx5(i was told they are not called miatas overseas) front and rear vertical links so i can use the mx5 brakes...

im not a very good diagram drawer/modifier nor am i a good explainer. im going to head to the wrecking yard to pick up a few parts to see if i can make them work. ill post pics of the actual parts once they are fitted together.

You gonna have to narrow the rear end, as I was looking at it, befoer I went for what i have,
also looked at the link when it was off, the steering arms seemed to be in the wrong plane, = lots o bump steer.
slightly diff length links as well,

Mr Moore, frae a lang lang way away, has done something similar to what you thinkin, but with fordy bits
maybe if Nick was asked niclely , he put some pics up, its quite neat too

Marcus

timbancroft61 wrote:
Lucky you still have wrecking yards-scrap yards over here-majority of ours have been shut down through H&S fears!!!! Lon gone are the days of being 4 cars up attempting to get a speedo out of a Dolomite 1850HL!

Ahhhh, those were the days, 4,5 up, jumping frae roof to roof, cars rocking when you landed, squeezing doon between them all, getting lost on way out,!!! ;D
used to spend a full sunday in em,and dirt cheap prices too. gerrrate days,which have gone for good. :-/ :-/

Archived