SPIT 1500 Rotoflex CV conversion and swing spring

Matteo85

Hi Guys,
I'm planning to convert my SPIT 1500 from original swing spring setup to rotoflex CV joints conversion setup like Nick Jones and Josh Bowler site: http://www.justdrive.ca/gt6/josh/cv_rotoflex.html
I'm using basically the same parts of Josh like ROVER 100 short drive shafts and MGF wheel bearings and hubs.
About the leaf spring, is the rotoflex suspension setup compatible with the swing spring of my SPIT 1500 or i need to convert it to swing axle fixed leaf spring like original rotoflex setup used on GT6 mk2/ early mk3 and Vitesse?
If yes, what type of fixed leaf spring i need to use? The early type used on Spitfire MKI, MKII and MKIII ?

You'll probably get conflicting answers on this.  Pretty sure it has been asked before and one or two have popped up (Laurence?) and said that the swing spring fits and it works well.  Think he's using sliding spline shafts or perhaps actual rotos - not CVs.

Can't comment myself as I've not tried it, but provided the swing spring used is the same length eye to eye as the normal roto one you should be fine as far as the CV shafts fitting and working goes.

Coming from a 1500 Spit with (presumably) long shafts you will notice a distinct reduction in track (2"!) and your wheel arches will suddenly look rather empty.

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick,
Nice to meet. The plan of my modification started from the visit of your internet site approximately 3 years ago!
Very comforting to know that others persons have the same rotoflex/swing spring combination.
About the track reduction, i think that the only practicable solution will be to found two 1" wheel spacers if i want to mantain the same track of 1500.

Hi,I have to be honest and say WHY?. I have a 1972 GT6 Mk 3. Although it has only done 89000 miles i recently replaced the Rotoflex couplings with genuine replacements and I am absolutely convinced it is the first time in this cars history that they have been replaced. Modifications usually create problems in my experience. Rocky

I know that it's a lot of work involved but i like to use my SPIT 1500 regularly and after ten years of use, i'm a little disappointed about the short life of drive shaft u-joints, rear wheel bearings and differential inner axle shaft bearings and the non remote possibility of drive shaft break in my actual swing spring configuration.

I'm not criticizing the swing spring configuration (maximum respect for the Triumph engineers, their very good theory and for their fatigue to produce fantastic cars with very low budget) but you will agree that the realization and sizing aren't the best.

Knowing also that the source of rotoflex couplings isn't certain in the future, i decided to focus in the cv joints configuration.

P.S. Sorry for my poor English. Write here it's an opportunity to improve it.
Thanks to everyone for the English lessons!

Did I hear my name being used in vain ?

Yeah I have swing spring over rotoflex without rotoflexes ( Sliding steel shafts ) and it works very well indeed.

If going this route you will need to build up a hybrid spring with a fixed spring main leaf in the swing spring. Failing to do this will create excessive negative camber. Also ( If using roto couplings ) you need to remove the two outer alignment clamps.

Laurence

Richard_B wrote:

Rotoflex spring outer clamps are C shaped (presumably beaten into place) rather than the bolt affairs seen on other springs.

Richard it was the swing spring I was refering to as when used over rotoflex couplings they hit the coupling. Easily removed while spring dismantled just grind the head off the rivet and punch it out.

Laurence