Triumph Spitfire Rear Spring

Shaun5190

Hi Guys,

I need some advice on the suspension setup on my spitfire. I am now in the final stages of the rebuild and pushed it outside to start it up yesterday. The rear leaf spring is new and seems to be jacking the rear end up and causing extreme positive camber. Will this settle down over time? There isn't much more weight to add in the rear end to bring this down.

Also, would this cause the front suspension to drop? The front wheels are close to rubbing on the arches but they are not height adjustable.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Were the spring eye bolts tightened only once weight was on the wheels or uprights? If tightened with the suspension hanging that can cause issues.

And if a new spring, they can take a while to settle, speeder up by heavy weight in the boot and doing some hump-backed bridges etc to work the spring.

If that fails, a spring block can be used.

I am assuming that rotoflex had not been fitted? (  so camber changes may be troublesome with 15" low profile tyres, from experience.)

Fronts, either spring pans are too low on the shocks, or springs too short. Moss sell some spacers to increase the ride height. Or new longer springs.

Quoted from cliftyhanger-

Were the spring eye bolts tightened only once weight was on the wheels or uprights? If tightened with the suspension hanging that can cause issues.

And if a new spring, they can take a while to settle, speeder up by heavy weight in the boot and doing some hump-backed bridges etc to work the spring.

If that fails, a spring block can be used.

I am assuming that rotoflex had not been fitted? (  so camber changes may be troublesome with 15" low profile tyres, from experience.)

Fronts, either spring pans are too low on the shocks, or springs too short. Moss sell some spacers to increase the ride height. Or new longer springs.

Thanks for the advice Clive,

I haven't tightened any of the bush bolts yet for that very reason, I just need to remember to tighten everything up before driving it! I will have to try settling the spring as you suggest once it is on the road.

It is the swing spring setup so hopefully camber change with the larger wheels shouldn't be an issue.

I have new non adjustable spax coilovers in the front, but I thought they were the standard spring height (perhaps not) but wasn't sure if the lifting at the back would cause the front to dip? Spacers may be the way forward though if this is not the issue.

The swing spring doesn't make any difference to the camber change. What it does is reduce one of the mechanisms promoting the rear to lift during cornering, thus leading to camber change. You will still get plenty of camber change if you lift-off mid-bend, but where nice old-fashioned round tyres cope with this, your chosen low profile ones will throw you into the hedge. To be honest, 15" low profile tyres are a Bad Thing on Spitfires of any mark.

On the subject of the ride height, though, one of our local members fitted a brand new swing spring to his Spitfire and found it was like yours - way too high - even after fitting a lowering block. It seems there are some way-out-of-spec springs on the market.

when I did the GT6 Mk3 I fitted a new swing spring from Moss part number 17409 1" lowered, on the Front I have Rimmer's part number GSA366SPAX (shocks)                    and Rimmer's part Number 212425UR 2" lowered 262 lbs Springs 

15" x 5.5 Minilites with 185/55/R15 Goodyears, mine had the same stance, I  then put the car up on ramps and placed 4 bags of cement in the boot and one each side where the front seats go, the hard part was placing 8'x2' timber on the ramps for the car to be rolled to and fro, to settle the suspension, then tightened all suspension fixings, I had to roll the rear arch inner edge for  the tyres to clear the body

I am now happy with it