bob dunn

I'm assuming you are asking if a previous owner has modified the link?

Yes, they have. This is effectively the same as drilling a spring mounting hole further down the vert link/upright (see Andre's reply [no. 10] in the "Changing to swing spring" thread http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1246998324/s-all/) Assuming they are the same both sides, it gives the same effect as putting a lowering block between the spring and the diff. If they are 1" shorter, then it is equivalent to a 1" lowering block.

If you have a shortened one on one side, and a standard one on the other, then you've got problems!

JUst to let you know, when you tighten the spring and suspension bolts up after fitting a new rear spring the car not only has to be on the floor but also has to be laden with 120lbs in each front seat, else you will definately have incorrect camber.ps I learnt the hard way. There is a thread on the 'other' web site under mark 111 spitfire.

KevinR wrote:

Are you sure about the length of the long shafts - the track of a long shaft car is 1" wider than a short shaft car, so if a short shaft is 285 long, a long shaft would be half an inch longer, not an inch longer.

Sparky is right. The 1500 shafts (late MkIII GT6) are 1" longer than earlier shafts. So the track is 2" wider on late cars.  ;)

34 wrote:
sorry sparky spit      the photo is just an example from another web  sit  .what i meant was is this an accepted way of cureing my camber prob or not.

Ah, I see what you mean now... yes it is. Engineering wise it needs to be carefully cut, welded and ideally a doubler welded in too. An easier way to achieve the same outcome is to put a 1" lowering block in between the spring and the diff - about £20 from Jigsaw or Canleys. Or drill new spring bolt holes as per Andre's reply noted in my post above. They all result in about 2 to 3 degrees worth of negative camber. In practice this means if you have 2 degrees of positive camber currently, you should end up with about 0 degrees or 1 degree negative, and so on.

gary_saunders wrote:
JUst to let you know, when you tighten the spring and suspension bolts up after fitting a new rear spring the car not only has to be on the floor but also has to be laden with 120lbs in each front seat, else you will definately have incorrect camber.ps I learnt the hard way. There is a thread on the 'other' web site under mark 111 spitfire.

There's noway I can lose 60lbs by 1pm tomorrow,

Archived