Suitable rubber for 'S' wheels?

Matt George

Hi all,

I've been given a set of 'S' wheels for my 2000, and now need to source some suitable rubber. But what size is best?

The car currently has 175/70 R14 tyres that, combined with a 3.45:1 diff, give a speedo that slightly under reads. I'd like to choose a tyre size that keeps thngs pretty much how they are, or ideally levels the speedo out.

I'm currently thinking of 195/65, but am interested to hear any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Matt

To get a proper speedo reading you would need a speedo from a 2.5pi Matt, the 2000 would originally have had a 4.11 ratio axle, so getting the speedo accurate by changing the tyres will be difficult. With the estate on 14" wheels I use 195/70/14 as the closest to the original 175/14 tyres.

Colin.

Hi Colin,

Agreed, a speedo to match the diff would be preferable, but to be honest it really isn't too bad the way it is now. I just don't want to throw the readings further out with a change of tyres!

I think I'll have to work out the rolling radius of my current wheels and tyres, then do the same for the potential new combo, then choose tyres accordingly.

Matt

1529 wrote:
I'd go with 185/70, personally think a 195 is a bit too wide for a 5 1/2 inch wheel, too tyre roll on the rim.

I believe the Triumph used to fit 175/70 on these wheels?

Andy

From my 1981 Michelin technical data book

OE was 175HR14  which can be translated as 175/80R14 although that's not absolutely strictly correct it's good enough ;)

195/70R14 is fine on a 5 1/2J wheel, in fact the dimensions for static laden radius etc are based on the tyre being fitted to this wheel. By the 1996 tech data book it quotes a 6" wheel as the preferred one with 5 1/2 still OK.

1529 wrote:
I'd go with 185/70, personally think a 195 is a bit too wide for a 5 1/2 inch wheel, too tyre roll on the rim.

I believe the Triumph used to fit 175/70 on these wheels?

Andy

Yes, standard was 175/80/14, but having run 195/70's for 20 years + on standard S alloys (and on my Stag too) they do work and fit just fine.

Tried 185/70's once and they were just not grippy enough for me and looked "wrong".