Tasty new wheels

josh18

Hey all. I just got my new wheels- Enkei Apache 2s, the same as on that really nice Mk2 wagon form NZ on youtube.
I got 15x8s and they look fantastic! I have to run 15mm hub spacers on the front to clear the struts but I have a mod I plan to do to not need these. I have stretched the tyres on (195s on the 8" rims) a little, and happily they don't really scrub much at all! Handling seems better too, which is always a bonus.

Thanks guys. ET is +25, no scrubbing at all on the rear, and I have MK2 trailing arms. I have shimmed the outer shackles to reduce toe out though, which also gives a bit more room. They wont fit the front though with out spacers or strut mods. The perfect size would be 15x7 ET+0 for the front, but they are very hard to get.
Cheers

8465 wrote:
TThe perfect size would be 15x7 ET+0 for the front, but they are very hard to get.
Cheers

Erm no quite true any moer,  they are no re mek,n the Olde Skool wheels again,
and 7x15 is right in thea.

http://www.performancealloys.com/Enkei-alloy-wheels.aspx

M

Thanks Marcus. trust me I have searched. The only decent looking wheels (IMO) in 15x7 ET0 are the Konig rewind, which I had on order for ages and never came, and the Enkei Compe. The Compes look fine in 15x8, but for 15x7 they seem to use the same wheel mould as the +38 offset ones, which have no dish at all and just didn't have the look I was after. The Apaches only come in +38 in 15x7, so no luck there either. These were the best compromise.

Hey Alec, the toe in has been reduced but not to the point of toe out. When I lowered it there was a lot of toe in as a result, the shims just correct this. As a point of note I also run the front toe at zero degrees as it has poly bushes and doesn't have the give of the original rubber ones. I got a shop to do a couple of front alignments for me and it always steered terribly- like I was steering a wooden galleon! It took me a while to work out that the by the book settings are 4 degrees toe in. This is fine for the original squishy rubber bushes but with the stiff poly bushes the wheels were always toed in. I made some boards to do the wheel alignment myself and the handling is transformed- being now very light and delicate- much more fun and engaging to drive! I have done a few other things to the suspension, but this probably made the most difference.
Cheers

Hello Josh,

perhaps you didn't mean to write "I have shimmed the outer shackles to reduce toe out though"?

The point about front toe is a good one, as I too have poly bushes I might try that and see how it feels although I have no complaints about how it steers anyway?

Alec

Haha, the spoiler is actually a length of aftermarket 4x4 wheel flare! I used some right angle brackets and rivets to mount it. I was always going to change it for something else but I really like it. I actually think it does work. My old Mk2 used to get very scarily floaty at speed, where this car seems nice and planted. It may be that the mk1 has a better shaped front end and this one is much lower though. Anyway, I think it gives the front a balanced look.

Looks good, suits it well.
BUTTT still int shade (whistle)
and wheels fill the arches nicely too

there are some 7x15 VTO wheels  with 4 spokes too
the same as fitted to TRs/Datsuns, being re made
slightly diff to yours, but still period type, seen em !!
black or silver

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-4-NEW-15X7-BLACK-RETRO-4-VTO-PERFORMANCE-WHEELS-DATSUN-4X114-3-/360777667835

Ohh, the spoiler on my GT made a hell of a difference at high speed too.
so can see what ye mean about that bit.

M

• 3 months later...

Hey all. As the master of indecision, I have sold on my old wheels and found some Konig Rewinds second hand- the wheels I really wnted in the beginning but you cant get em anymore. They are 7x15s, so narrower than the old ones, but at +0 offset they actually sick out a fair bit further. Add that to the fact that the tyres aren't stretched on anymore and it made for some interesting solutions to getting them to fit. I actually had to modify the rear trailing arm mounting shackles to move them inwards slightly, and the lips on the guards are pretty much gone now. But now finally it sits and looks the way I always wanted, and with that much wider track, handles even better as well!