Wide wheels - Inner tubes needed??

roger.england

I bought some early Dunlop 5 1/2 J wheels for my Vitesse and was told that they needed tubes as they didn't have the "ridge" in the rim. When the tyres were fitted I was told that they couldn't fit tubes as they exploded because of the position of the valve hole in the rim - something to do with the offset and this was putting excess strain on the tube. So the tyres are now without tubes but I do feel a little uncomfortable about this.  :-/

Can anyone give me some wisdom on the rights and wrongs here please?

Roger

Brings to mind the spotty tyre fitter who told me my 4 brand new (in boxes) alloy wheels were warped because he couldn't balance them after fitting the tyres. Luckily his boss heard him, apologised to me and frog marched the yoof off to show him how to fit tyres properly - came back and told me "No charge sir, I'll be taking him out the back for a sever kicking later".
Apparently the cheaper the tyre the more out of balance they are - these were cheapo tyres going onto a Herald (hardly a speed machine).

[. most tyre fitters know nothing except the current applications, they assume that anything different is wrong.
cheers,
bill.[/quote]

Hi Bill,
glad you said most ;)as I own a tyre and exhaust business and my manager has been fitting tyres for last 30 years he has a wealth of knowledge on all tyres and applications including classic's

David.

David, do NOT let that man retire, at least until he "trains" a replacement! It is sad to think how much of that type of knowledge has been lost (in part, I suppose, because of up-and-coming replacement staff not willing to listen to the wisdom being passed down)....

[quote by=GT6DavidMK1 link=Blah.pl?b=hervit,m=1172227907,s=10 date=1172269916]my manager has been fitting tyres for last 30 years he has a wealth of knowledge on all tyres and applications including classic's[/quote]

...and I bet he shares my view of other people in the same line of work! :o
Good tyre fitters are a rare breed, few of them stay in the trade long enough to gain real experience,
Cheers,
Bill.

Agreed- lots of *insert national company name here* fitters are fine at what they know, but when it comes to anything old or unusual, they're never sure...

Anyone who lives near the Wirral should give Frank Bathers in Birkenhead a try- He just *knows* what tyres you're meant to have and whether you need tubes and whatnot... When I had the spitfire, I'd bought wolfrace slotmags to replace the knackered old wheels and took them down to Frank- I'd looked at the mintylamb calculator so I knew what I'd need, but without missing a beat he guessed perfectly. Legendary around our way but again, he's getting on and the guys who work for him are good, but not *that* good!

(And no, I don't work in the Bathers' marketing dept. :P)

Archived