bond68

Do some have taper fitting to the crank and some (early ones?) have parallel?  I know the one I had was a taper fit as it was an absolute sod to get off but IIRC Josh Bowler used one on his supercharged Spit (used the bolt holes to attach the SC pulley) and the Spit Crnak would have been parallel..... :-/

Nick

Hi,
Thanks for all the info,did this taper nose crank appear on any other model?
           I'm going to put back old crank and buy new bearing shells so I have reground taper nose crank and shells available
                Ray

Hi Nick,

I believe your mate Josh used a 1500fwd hub/pulley on his supercharged spit, this would have been tapered originally and of the larger size of 1 3/8" dia (1300fwd 1" dia) which he then bored out parallel to fit the spit crank nose.

Ray, the taper nose cranks are unique to the fwd cars, as it's just for attaching the starter ring to the front of the engine

Nick_Jones wrote:
Pretty sure Josh found one of the early 1300 ones that fitted straight onto the small-crank Mk3 Spit motor.  He's very good at finding ready made parts!

Nick

Ah! I'd assumed it was a MKIV large bearing engine, maybe that's why the crank broke ?

I'll have to revisit his web site if it's still up, as i'm planning to do something similar myself at some point  ;)

That_Man wrote:

Ah! I'd assumed it was a MKIV large bearing engine, maybe that's why the crank broke ?

I'll have to revisit his web site if it's still up, as i'm planning to do something similar myself at some point  ;)

What, you mean supercharge a 1300? I hope you have a lot of spare gearboxes! Or do you have any plans to improve the box, though I can't think what. I really must pay you a visit sometime, I think I would find it very interesting :).

yogi wrote:

What, you mean supercharge a 1300? I hope you have a lot of spare gearboxes! Or do you have any plans to improve the box, though I can't think what. I really must pay you a visit sometime, I think I would find it very interesting :).

Yogi, yeah i do know what you mean, but i've done over 150,000 miles in various 1300's over the last 25 years most of which have been modified in some way or other and i've never broken a gearbox, worn them out yes, but never broken, maybe you've just been unlucky.

As regards supercharging a 1300, as i'm planning to run EFI i'll have the ability to modulate the midrange torque to something the box can handle, i hope!

That_Man wrote:
Yogi, yeah i do know what you mean, but i've done over 150,000 miles in various 1300's over the last 25 years most of which have been modified in some way or other and i've never broken a gearbox, worn them out yes, but never broken, maybe you've just been unlucky.

Is is more that you know what does break them, and don't do it?

Have you done the 1500 gearbox swap the same as Yogi?

Cheers

Colin

thescrapman wrote:

Is is more that you know what does break them, and don't do it?

Have you done the 1500 gearbox swap the same as Yogi?

Cheers

Colin

1500 box? yes, but there are only a few internal differences between the two, most notably the input shaft/primary gear having longer splines. Canley's uprated 1300 input shaft/primary gear would do the same for the 1300 box