1200 camshaft journal clarification

trubac

Well I've stripped and rebuilt several 1200 engines and i've found that early 1200 engines with the earlier/longer style cam followers (and the 12-52-52-12 camshaft) have a smaller diameter cam journal size than the later engines (with the 18-58-58-18 camshaft) with the later/shorter cam followers.

However the camshafts fitted to later 1200 engines can be replaced with those fitted to 1300 engines and visa-versa without the need for cam bearings.

So my question is; Did Standard-Triumph produce their camshafts with three different camshaft journal sizes? Early Herald, Spitfire and later Herald?

Quoted from Jordan T

So my question is; Did Standard-Triumph produce their camshafts with three different camshaft journal sizes? Early Herald, Spitfire and later Herald?

AFAIK it's two sizes, small without bearings, small with bearings and large without bearing.

But I can only tell you what was fitted to what in the fwd cars with any certainty

Gordon

As I understand it most 1300 engines had large journal cams, the only exceptions being the Mk3 Spitfire (FD) and 1300 TC FWD.  Both used the same cam with 25 65 timing (same as Vitesse & GT6 Mk2 plus earlier 2.5 PI).  It's straight forward enough to fit the cam bearings but if you don't want to Canleys used to supply the same profile ground on a large journal cam.

Nick