mazfg

Just removed my cam followers again and noticed a bit of wear on some of the cams........ Finding this head off job getting more and more further into the engine......dilemma....what i should do and what I might do....? All advice, whether I want to hear it or not please....  ;D ;D

well, my head is already off anyway. I thought you did have to take head off though, to remove the cam followers..(else they'd drop further down the block)?

Timing needs sorting anyway, as I foudn it was 2 teeth out on the markings..

2880 wrote:
Yes, I'd say that it is a fairly straight forward job to do. As long as you are happy with re timing your engine. You won't need to remove the cylinder head to do it either.

Sam.

Can you remove the cam followers on a 1600 engine without removing the head ?
My knowledge of the earlier engines isn't that great

Is the wear on the cam lobes or the followers or both? I'd definitely be replacing all of the followers, and seeking professional advice about the cam (whether it is still within tolerances or not). Also, what oil are you using? A high-zinc content oil (Penrite Lite Classic 20w-50, for example) helps reduce wear.

1316 wrote:
Is the wear on the cam lobes or the followers or both? I'd definitely be replacing all of the followers, and seeking professional advice about the cam (whether it is still within tolerances or not). Also, what oil are you using? A high-zinc content oil (Penrite Lite Classic 20w-50, for example) helps reduce wear.

Its' on 4 of the lobes and and 6 of the followers. I have got 12 new cam followers...but am thinking I should really do that cam too :(

I was hoping to get it all back together in the next couple of weeks...after the sunshine today I'm eager to start driving my Vitesse.

With the head off, remove rad, front pulley, timing cover etc (if you haven't already), then cam sprocket and keeper plate.  Screw a couple of longer bolts into the sprocket bolt holes to give you a bit of a handle then withdraw gently, supporting the weight as you go.  It'll drop off the journals with a crunch if you let it and then has to be wiggled through the next set - take it slow and steady to avoid damaging surfaces best left smooth.

Once out you can check for wear.  Any pitting on the lobes = scrap.  Any difference in peak to base circle = scrap though slight differences only might mean it's ok to re-profile.  I've notices a tendency for the two end lobes to be worst worn in the past.  Presumably they get less oil.

If you have a DTI you can check the lifts are all equal without removing the cam.

Not sure how a Vitesse Mk2 / PI cam works in a 1600......  ;)

Nick

I think the distributor and drive need to come out too....

I think it's going to be scrap as already seen 4 of the lobes with pitting :(  ....... Got Canleys getting back to me tomorrow, to see if they can get me a replacement..