Crank snapping in a 2.5

Jason

[quote by=Jason link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1160677456,s=55 date=1160976416]It's the same back as the one that came out of the Vitesse - short back. Also of interest is that it's a recessed block but flat pistons, I thought recessed block = domed pistons. Also, each piston is numbered, on the crown the number is stamped on 1-6, never seen that before.[/quote]

No yer getting yer knickers in a twist there mate! No 2.5's had domed topped, that was the reserve of the later 'commonised' 2 ltrs.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote by=andythompson link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1160677456,s=54 date=1160956808]

Very early Tr6's and Mk2 Pi's had this type of crank and according to Gareth Thomas so did the police spec engines (the cooking 2.5PI reverted to the cheaper crank in 1970 or so[/quote]

Gareth has also stated that Police PI's had Minilites either as standard, or as an option. I have never found evidence of that in any of the original Triumph specification sheets, or Police spec sales brochures, or on any of the cars that I have seen?
The short boss cross drilled is fairly common early on, just a production thing (for a short time).

Jason, I had the flywheel lightened by an engineering firm and then the crank, rods, pistons, pins, clutch cover, flywheel, front pulley etc was sent to Bassett Down Balancing. Rods balanced end to end, pistons and pins weighed and balanced, etc and the whole lot dynamically balanced together. Cost was £148 inc VAT and a lot of work went into that. It looks good, just have to see how it performs!! The day draws nearer!

Foot note, Basstt Down lightened and balanced a Daimler V8 for a colleague, now that was impressive!!

Archived