Crank snapping in a 2.5

Jason

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Dave,

Don't suppose you have any TR5 / Mk1 Pi cranks knocking about in your office? I was debating what they are made of with james Shackford on the RBRR.

Just wondered what steel they are made of

I know that the cooking 2000 and 2.5 cranks are EN16U but wondered if the TR5 was EN40

Also isn't the early 2000 (2inch mains) made of EN40?

cheers

Andy

I think you're talking sense Andy - chemically nitriding needs specific steel to be effective, EN40 has low carbon and a higher chrome molly contentent that makes it ideal for nitriding. The only thing special about early 2.5 cranks is that they were cross drilled to TR5 spec - nothing else (as far as I know) is special.
Interestingly, having just looked it up, I didn't realise that Tufftride is a registered trade mark, in fact it's salt bath nitrocarburising and seems to be a much lower tech process and something of a one size fits all. I found this pdf useful http://www.chta.co.uk/downloads/data_4.pdf

For your delectation, there are a selection of photos of the strip down on my Blog - just to illustrate those rods, take a look at this

Can anyone ID the cam for me? On the shaft it says 4 MC 24333 and on the end KC TH2.

The block looks fine as do the pistons but all the top rings are broken - is this common or was it assembled badly? What do you think?

Hi Jason,
to your reply earlier, did no damage to the block just a had a knock on pick-up stripped the engine down, new  2.5 crank fitted with bearings and new piston rings fitted after honing the bores, rebuilt engine, runs very well and customer a happy chap.
Had the crank nearly 10 years sitting in the stock room, knew it would come in handy one day ;D have a new 2ltr crank as well.

Regards David.

[quote by=Dave link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1160677456,s=46 date=1160862489]Hi Jason
Sorry to see your crank in two halves. that engine did 3 Castle Combes, 2 days at Santa Pod and the RBRR with no trouble. You go to the shops in it and you break the crank whats going on mate?[/quote]

Shit happens mate :-) There's no other evidence of any major maladies in there - the rods are a bit messy but they didn't break, the thrusts are a bit worn but they were in place fine, the top rings are broken but they don't figure in the failure so I guess it was just it's time. I do drive it hard but not that hard and atthe time of the failure I was cruising!

Never mind - it will live again!

BTW 2.5 crank snappers , if you haven't seen this slightly heated thread on the Kastner Forum it's well worth a read. Gareth Thomas at his vitriolic best  ;D ;D

http://p104.ezboard.com/fkaskastnersforumfrm2.showMessageRange?topicID=30.topic&start=1&stop=20

Must get round to building that 2.3 litre Pi one day  8)  You know it makes sense

Good luck Dave, you know it makes sense, go for the PI, you've had the experience with the TR - how did the house moving go?

The Vitesse crank doesn't look like it's been touched for balancing at all - having said that the clutch cover and flywheel are marked for balance. Flywheel looks standard - I always thought it was lightened, felt like it but it's not in the spec you gave me so I assume now that it was just a balanced 2 litre one?

Andy - Gareth certainly does speak his mind doesn't he, makes for interesting reading :-)

Indeed Dave, it did good, I'm not complaining mate, I had fun and I'm still having fun taking it all apart :-)

Now for the stock take of spare bits - I found this in my spare 2.5 (MG prefix, recessed block, unknown heritage, came out of my original PI Vitesse projet) more pix on the blog

What is it? It's cross drilled and doesn't seem to have been balanced (no grinder marks) but it's been in my garage for 15 years+ All the bearings are through the white meatl to the backing but it's even wear and there doesn't seem to be any scoring.

Does the X drilled crank have a long or short back?

Very early Tr6's and Mk2 Pi's had this type of crank and according to Gareth Thomas so did the police spec engines (the cooking 2.5PI reverted to the cheaper crank in 1970 or so) .

BTW Cross drilling is the only way to go for high revving 2.5 engines.

It's the same back as the one that came out of the Vitesse - short back. Also of interest is that it's a recessed block but flat pistons, I thought recessed block = domed pistons. Also, each piston is numbered, on the crown the number is stamped on 1-6, never seen that before.

Archived