Vitesse large crank journal diameter

jon burrows

Hello

I'm about to start rebuilding my MK2 engine which has the large crankshaft fitted. I have three manuals to help, the old brown one, the reprinted red one and the Haynes book. Unfortunately none of them seem to have data for the large crank. Does anyone have to hand the standard diameter for the main and big end journals? Also do you know if the endfloat is the same as for the small crank?

http://www.vitessesteve.co.uk/Servicemanuals.htm

you may find something there. Although I thought the red reprint covered the mk2. Most 2litre engines were large bearing AFAIK. In fact only the 1600 and very early were small??

It has been a while though...

Thanks Clive. The details on your link is the same as my red manual. The crank pin data matches my crank, but the main bearing dia given in the manuals is 50.813mm, whereas mine are measuring at 58.500mm! I am trying to work out whether I need standard replacement shells or oversize.

Jon

Ps What does AFAIK mean?

As Far As I Know

Never noticed that about crank sizes, but then I have never got a crank ground, just replaced shells.

What shells came out? If the old shells look K just worn and the journals are not grooved, I would just replace them like for like. But that is just me.....

Early 2 litre MkI's (Gt6, Vitesse & 2000 Saloon) all had a smaller bearing on the mains (2" rather than 2.3" IIRC).

I think these all had the crankcase breather near the petrol pump.The later larger bearings are also fitted to the 2.5 which is why there were commonised.

As Clive says, all but the earliest 2L engines had the larger main bearings so the dimensions really should be in the manuals.

See pic below which is a shot of the relevant page from a T2000/2.5PI manual.  For your purposes, use the 2.5 column which has the same main bearing sizes as the later 2.0 engines.  You'll see that the big ends are same for both variants.

Nick

Guys, Thanks for all the help.

Clive...My crank surfaces appear ok and the journals aren't oval so I was just planning on replacing the shells. The numbering on them doesn't match Canley or Rimmers part no.s though, so I wanted to cross-check to confirm it was standard dia.
Nick ... that page looks right on the money. It's strange that the all Vitesse/GT6 manuals have only got the smaller measurement!

Anyway I can order bits now.
Cheers!

Jon

The red reprinted GT6 & Vitesse book does not have all the MkII (& MkIII) supplements. I've just checked mine. I know the early version of the red book neglected the MkIII supplement. But it looks like the version they used for the reprint was not correctly updated with MkII engine details as well.

Triumph used to release new pages for the folders as required.

The blue A4 book for the Triumph 2000 & 2.5 is better for the engine as that contains the revisions.

Be aware the head gasket is torqued down to 65lb/ft on a MkII engine, not 45lb/ft as on a MkI engine.

• 1 year later...

Aaargh!!

Tessa's new block isn't the same as the old one!

Damn fool that I am I'd assumed it would be, but the replacement is post-4500 (5615, in fact) whereas the one I took out is pre-1000! So I can't re-use the crankshaft.

Anybody here got a spare late Mk1 2L crankshaft?