Alex

I took the head off my engine today theres a slight scratch in one bore not very deep but you can feel it with your nail(I can feel it with mine ;D).Just wondered what people consider acceptable?Otherwise theres just a bit of glazing nothing much though.
Cleaned the top of one piston and its got +20 pistons.
I need to borrow an engine stand so I can drop the sump but is there anything else I can check?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jason that'd be great thanks.
However.....it would appear that all is not as it seemed.The cranks not cross drilled so not original which leads me to suspect that spitbang was correct all along and its a 2000 in a 2500 block :'(
How can I be sure?

No good to you either way sorry - they are Chords  standard bore, marked "853 Triumph STD 74.7mm" I'll bang 'em on eBay now I've dug them out!

Not all PI cranks were cross drilled so that's not a reliable check for engine size.

unless my eyes deceive me there are 3 rings on the nose of that cam - that means 311399 - TR6 CR engine 125hp and Mk2 PI.

I've never seen a cross drilled crank!  Only Mk1 PI and TR5 were to my knowledge.  Dont know about early TR6.

Are the pistons flat topped or domed?

Yes definately 3 rings and flat pistons.
I thought the cross drilling would be obvious?
Kd said they sort of go --->   <---- across the fat bit if you see what I mean.But I could have misunderstood I guess?

Sorry I meant the colour of the valves,its a 2.5 pi head as its got the double springs.
Just wondered wether the colour would indicate what was wrong to make this engine get pulled out or is it acceptable colouring?

Archived