Sourcing NOS Type 14 brake pads for 1200 Herald conv......(that is a little bit of a 'bitsa'...)

Scimher

Having put up some pics. on the previous website, it appears that my front brakes are 'Type 14' - Am looking for some NOS pads & have seen some, ostensibly, for a Viva HB '68 to '70 & Herald/Spitfire '67 to '80.........Would these fit, do you experts think?  Thanks, in advance for any help/clarification...

yes theyll do the job and they seem to be fitted to Cortinas (smaller models), Dolomites (believe even the Sprint had type 14s) and many BL cars. If you do want asbestos free pads I recommend you go for Mintex 1144 ones which are more expensive but work considerably better than the usual modern materials...

I assumed that 'new, old stock' ones were rather more effective than new ones - perhaps I'm just assuming that everything is now manufactured in China or the Far East!....Even stuff badged as 'Lucas' is, isn't it...?

...Does the adhesive 'go off'..??

Yeah, they'll go off. The chances they will break up on you are slim, but risk it to save £30-40 every few years?

There's no benefit to old stuff when there are modern options just as good and better. From personal experience, you'll not notice any difference between asbestos and mintex 1144. I'd certainly trust them more than a set of unknown age pads stored in unknown conditions. 

You are correct though - cheap pads in white boxes are terrible.

Sounds a bit of a lottery. I've secured the Girling pads in the above link - not sure of the conditions they've been kept in...but the box has survived pretty well which, hopefully, is a good sign. Surely if they can cope with extreme temperatures, plus rain, snow, mud, ice & spray during fitment, they can cope with being on a shelf for a good few years.... 

6 hours ago, Scimher said:

Sounds a bit of a lottery. I've secured the Girling pads in the above link - not sure of the conditions they've been kept in...but the box has survived pretty well which, hopefully, is a good sign. Surely if they can cope with extreme temperatures, plus rain, snow, mud, ice & spray during fitment, they can cope with being on a shelf for a good few years.... 

I have been using NoS pads for years, except the current set (Ferrodo DS2500, which are eye-wateringly expensive, but the initial cold bite is not as good as the girling asbestos pads, but better when very hot, which isn't needed by most people)

But had no issues with NoS pad at all. If they were badly stored in damp conditions it may be a problem though, rust pushing the friction material off the steel backing. But that would be visible.

Thanks Clive......That's rather more reassuring. I presume the pads in the link, above, appear to be okay to you....Dear owd 'Little Sis' is hardly  a hotrod - her engine rattles in protest if she deems revs. &/or acceleration to be a little on the high side! 'Racing' quality brakes with expensive, fancy pads, are hardly called for. She just needs braking commensurate with fairly gentle use.

( Have I posted this under the correct section? I did look for 'Herald' (Vitesse?) posts but there appears to be no current division between models...)

Yes you do need to have a certain outlook on life to drive our cars as, wheel studs can break, back axles snap and front suspension collapse and thats not including the maintenance we've done ourselves🤪 Obviously regular inspection and paying attention to any changes in vehicle behaviour play a big part in avoiding these problems...

1 hour ago, Scimher said:

Thanks Clive......That's rather more reassuring. I presume the pads in the link, above, appear to be okay to you....Dear owd 'Little Sis' is hardly  a hotrod - her engine rattles in protest if she deems revs. &/or acceleration to be a little on the high side! 'Racing' quality brakes with expensive, fancy pads, are hardly called for. She just needs braking commensurate with fairly gentle use.

( Have I posted this under the correct section? I did look for 'Herald' (Vitesse?) posts but there appears to be no current division between models...)

I would happily use them from what you have said.

The asbestos aspect is not a worry, as long as you are sensible. What people do forget is many of our ars still have old (very good) asbestos clutch plates. But as long as you don't use an airline to blow the dust about, and don't use a hoover to clean up after working on asbestos stuff, you should be OK. Use spray brake cleaner, collect the residue and I would happily wash it away down a drain with water. 

Re "forum sections" this is  a perfect example of why splitting into models is not very useful. Those pads fit some heralds and spitfires, the other aspects affect all the cars. So a general technical section is ideal. (all that will be reviewed in a few months)

...I would have thought a hoover would have been okay?....Anyhow, academic for the moment. If the Girling pads do have asbestos they shouldn't cause too much damage if the pads are done in the open air - which they will be.

Re. forum - I see. I suppose it's just a case of monitoring to see how it all goes...

3 hours ago, Scimher said:

...I would have thought a hoover would have been okay?....Anyhow, academic for the moment. If the Girling pads do have asbestos they shouldn't cause too much damage if the pads are done in the open air - which they will be.

Re. forum - I see. I suppose it's just a case of monitoring to see how it all goes...

do not, under any circumstances, use a hoover unless certified suitable for asbestos. The harmful asbestos fibres are the really small ones. In the UK we (at least when I worked in a lab 30 years ago) count the fibres we can see under a microscope, and extrapolate. In teh USA they used electron microscopes, which is better. But a conventional hoover? all you will do is throw the fibres through the filter into the air you are breathing. Just NO.

12 minutes ago, Tim Bancroft said:

Never understood the criticism that is levelled at Greenstuff pads, I have never had a problem. Fitted to my GT6 and TR6, I see no reason to change.

I think they have changed the compound formula in the last few years and also using them with a servo might make a difference as without I certainly found them to lack initial bite compared to NOS... 

• 5 weeks later...