hot day->hot engine->misfire.

yorkshire_spam

The 1500 Spitfire ran great this morning on the way to work and no problems at all at lunch time when I nipped out.
BUT on the way home this evening on the motorway the temp managed to creep just above normal (normal operation seems to see the temp needle vertical, tonight it was about a needle's width above that - not climbing toward the red or even the 3/4 mark - but above normal)
And then it started to misfire. Badly. At one point I thought I had a fuel leak it stank that bad.
Which pushed the temp up by about another needle's width on the gauge.

Pulling the choke out seemed to alleviate the problem of the misfire.
I'm thinking maybe the tuning is a little weak and the nasty 'orrible waxstat jets are making it even worse when it's hot.

Other options? Any advice?
I twiddled the ignition timing slightly at the weekend - so I guess I should double double double check that before I launch into anything else?

Nope you need a proper one  ;) :P ;D

Gaz (uksnatcher) was having all sorts of heat soak issues but sorted it out with a dual skin heat shield.

Just off to find the thread :)

EDIT >>>>    page 4 on this thread    http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1303407024/s-all/

My 1500 has had the waxstats replaced and i have a bit of copper sheeting i had lying around cut and fitted between the carbs and exhaust, everything else is std and never overheats, have had it get very hot a few times when i had left the mechanical fan off over winter and not fitted in summer, was relying on the kenlowe but the connector had come off so no power :) what a muppet, gauge got to about 3/4 and still ran fine until i could get somewhere to let it cool down. sounds like is running a bit lean.

rich

Cheers Ste, saved me finding the pic.

Spam......
You will see if you look really closely the waxstats have been replaced with 2x 1 pence pieces (4p in total, 2 pennies per jet)
I KNOW its a bit expensive for a Yorkshire man to shell out that much cash....but money well worth spending....consider it an investment ;)  :P

uksnatcher wrote:

You will see if you look really closely the waxstats have been replaced with 2x 1 pence pieces (4p in total, 2 pennies per jet)
I KNOW its a bit expensive for a Yorkshire man to shell out that much cash....but money well worth spending....consider it an investment ;)  :P

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Almost sprayed coffee all over my keyboard ..............................

I ran mine with waxstats and no heat shield for over a year without any problems, only fitted one because i noticed everyone else had one and wondered if made any difference, it didnt, apart from making it slightly harder to get to the exhaust bolts as it covered them up :)

rich

tiggrr1 wrote:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Almost sprayed coffee all over my keyboard ..............................

I`ll have you know that`s a slur on Yorkshiremen ............I stood for an hour at the cream cake stand in Tesco`s waiting for the guy to reduce prices on  some eclairs .......I paid 5 pence for them ...so don`t say we are tight with our pennies :)

michael_charlton wrote:

I`ll have you know that`s a slur on Yorkshiremen ............I stood for an hour at the cream cake stand in Tesco`s waiting for the guy to reduce prices on  some eclairs .......I paid 5 pence for them ...so don`t say we are tight with our pennies :)

Our local Tesco knocks 5p OFF at the end of the day, the manager MUST be a yorkshireman!

Perhaps we need to deport the manager from our local branch and we can have yours... :-)

3106 wrote:
Sorry - waxstat?
Unique to SU(s) or Strommies, too?

No idea if the Strommies made the waxstat mistake or if it's just SU lunacy.
Basically the position of the jet is spring-loaded and at the base is the "waxstat" - the temp. varies the thickness of the waxstat varying the mixture.

Anyhooo.... I took the big step of investing the 4p in de-waxstating the jets. So I guess I now need a retune because the mixture is now nothing like what it was before..... (I guess the 2p per stat is not quite the same as the "cold" position of the waxstat)

6797 wrote:

No idea if the Strommies made the waxstat mistake or if it's just SU lunacy.
Basically the position of the jet is spring-loaded and at the base is the "waxstat" - the temp. varies the thickness of the waxstat varying the mixture.

Anyhooo.... I took the big step of investing the 4p in de-waxstating the jets. So I guess I now need a retune because the mixture is now nothing like what it was before..... (I guess the 2p per stat is not quite the same as the "cold" position of the waxstat)

Yorkshire tip...............use old unwanted one cent (euro) pieces or US one cent pieces...............cos you may need the UK pennies to buy an eclair ;D

michael_charlton wrote:
Yorkshire tip...............use old unwanted one cent (euro) pieces or US one cent pieces...............cos you may need the UK pennies to buy an eclair ;D

Thanks for the tip Mike, I was actually trying to figure out if the washers I have would be worth less than the 1p pieces for equivalent width.... but Euro or US cent coins would be a lower value than 1p.

6797 wrote:

I took the big step of investing the 4p in de-waxstating the jets. So I guess I now need a retune because the mixture is now nothing like what it was before..... (I guess the 2p per stat is not quite the same as the "cold" position of the waxstat)

Hope you have had as nice cuppa with a couple of paracetamols and a long sit down after that financial decision Sam..! I feel your pain mate..... ;)

Assuming you fitted the little steel spacer button on top of the pennies,  the button sits in a small recess on the waxstat so will be now running slightly leaner using the flat edge of the penny( i think, cant remember...doh).

Also my waxstats were knackered, one was crushed, obviousy lost its wax, and the other getting there so they compress with age being brass so mixture settings were all over the place in the first place..(dizzy)

Not now i have done the mod, best 4p spent.......although 5p for cakes is also up there too, Mike you lead the way mate...:)

Thanks Gaz, as soon as you mentioned it the "penny" dropped - the spacers are firmly wedged in the top of the stats. I'll rip em out and fettle it. Then richen it up a smidgen.
Serves me right for reading the yankee PDF version of the waxstat conversion.... which doesn't mention the button and just says that using two uk pennys will leave the mixture wrong.