Engine turning as soon as battery connected.

Northernstar002

Morning All,

Got a problem which I havent experienced before.

Got a decent battery and a new solenoid (the solenoid has been fitted for about 6 months but I havent turned the engine until now). Got almost everything ready following the resotration so I went to fit the battery to go about testing the lights and other electrical systems and even though the key was out of the ignition barrel (and in the off position) the engine immediatley started turning as soon as the battery contacts were made.

I've checked the ignition barrel and everything is fine - I havent touched the wiring there and it's not stuck in the start position. I wired the new solenoid exactly as the old one was - done side by side so thats ok.

So, I'm guessing that the solenoid is fused or stuck in the 'start' position?

Cheers,

3352 wrote:
I'm guessing that the solenoid is fused or stuck in the 'start' position?

Cheers,

Possibly;

Take all the wires/cables off of the solenoid apart from the two thick cables;

• Battery to solenoid
  • Solenoid to starter

If the problem persists then yes, if the problem goes away, then more investigation is required.

Most likely a dodgy solenoid, though it could be a fault in the switched feed to the solenoid being live when it shouldn't.

An old friend managed to demolish part of a newly-built wall with his freshly painted restoration project, this was due to an identical failure of a brand new (or possibly NOS?) solenoid. The engine started turning over when it shouldn't and the car was in gear. Not pretty,

Cheers,
Bill.

Check if the cable from the Solenoid to the starter is the ONLY! cable at this pole on the Solenoid!

I have seen different configurations for the additional brown cables (wiring harness) on the solenoid.
Sometimes they are on the top pole and sometimes they are on the bottom pole.

cheers,
Harry

Thanks all, really useful and helpful as always.

I can confirm that the solenoid connections on the poles are: bottom nut connection goes straight to the starter - nothing else connected here. Top nut connection goes to the battery. All brown wires hang off here too (from memory) the two smaller spades connect to the coil and the dizzy (again from memory).

Bit annoyed as the solenoid was new and this is the first time its been used.

Hello Northernstar,

the two solenoid light connections, one goes to the coil the other to the starter position on the ignition switch, if the wires feeding them are crossed then the starter solenoid will operate as soon as the ignition switch is turned on. With the key out in your case it shouldn't happen unless there is other crossed connections elsewhere. As said earlier disconnect both those terminals to see if that is where the problem lies?

Alec

Had a good fiddle last night. Went to connect up the battery to ensure it was still happening (all wires connected at this point), heard the familiar click but nothing else.

Went to use the key in the ignition lock and wouldnt you know it? Darned thing is now working perfectly - so, sticky solenoid.

Is it just a case of it needs to be used and it'll get better with use? Or shouldnt I trust it?

Good news on your fiddle, i normally get a slapped hand and told to goto sleep.. ;)

Personally i wouldnt trust it, the solenoid should work first time, every time, the doubt will always be there, and probably stick just when you dont need it.... not to mention the damage it will do.....for what they cost bin it and get a new one