Newbie engine rebuild...  Spitty overheated

Dan Miller

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

hit my first newbie failure, and then a questions

failure = I misread the torque settings on the connecting rod cap bolts, and thought they were the same as the main bearings, so I tried to over-torque them.  turns out I had bought a whole new set, so I removed them all and put the new ones in to correct torque setting  (had to buy a new torque wrench though LOL)

problem1 = Haynes manual states I should have washers with the connecting rod end cap bolts, but there were none when I stripped her down, and I do not have any in what I ordered from Canley last year..  should I stop now and order them?

problem2 = just doing the clearances on the Crank-end-float...  it seems to be at around 0.28, where the threshold seems to be 0.06 to 0.14...    I am assuming I need to buy an oversized thrust washer set...  which means I have to take all the caps off again  :-(

what size do I buy?  0.14 over?

sorry guys for the newbie questions, never had my hands inside the bottom end of an engine before...

cheers
dan

looks like to need to just remove the back main bearing cap,

With a screw driver to lever crank from fully rear to front measure total travel .
Base on 7thou end float.
If total movement is say 14 thou you need a 7thou shim to give you your 7thou endfloat

that's word from Mick on tssc.  suspect my issue will b that my movement goes beyond my feeler gauges!  and without anything printed/etched into the current washer, I am going to have bother

anyway, wish me luck!!!  

(hmm  I wonder do I hse to loosen all of the caps to allow the crank to be levered forward, or should it move anyway)

Dan,
No need to loosen the caps. The normal bearing clearance is sufficient to allow the crank to move.
                                                                                       Good luck,
                                                                                       Paul

cheers guys...  I did some measuring just with the feeler gauges...  as a test, I put her back together (washers and all), I pushed crank all the way to front and used feelers to measure the size (the rear of the rear main bearing, outside the block), and it was 0.030.. I then pushed it all the way back, and saw an increase of 0.008... not scientific, but it does give me a number...

I have just received my magnetic dial-gauge, so I will work out how to use that, and see if I can get a more accurate measurement.  I find it hard to get my head around the fact that the inset in the block under the rear-main-bearing cap, is not quite as wide as the "standard" thrust bearing, so removing them in my opinion, will not give me the movement I care about...    what I would really need to know, is how much past the inset, does the washer go, and then use that as a measurement plus the movement

finding it quite hard to explain, even to myself.  thinking the best thing to do is buy a few thrust washer sizes, and try them and then check movement...  should only need a 0.005, 0.010 and a 0.015 to be safe.  can I use 2 different sizes either side?  I am sure it does not matter...

OK, think I might just take a punt and get this lot from Canley:
(I have noticed that you can no longer buy the woodruff key for the crank, wonder why?.  the 2 shims on mine look a little distorted from maybe the engineers or my man-handling, not sure if I have to replace them so I have bought 2 anyway but I have never removed the woodruff and reluctant to now due to not being able to buy a replacement from Canley)

Also going to pout spring washers into the main bearing cap bolts as recommended.  looks like I do not need them for the con-rod end-caps

6 x WL210 SPRING WASHER - 7/16                                   £0.20 EACH  
1 x 145275 SHIM - .004" - LARGE CRANK                          Â£0.75 EACH  
1 x 145276 SHIM - .006" - LARGE CRANK                          Â£0.95 EACH
2 x 144195/10 THRUST WASHER - LARGE CRANK .010       £5.34 EACH  
1 x 144195/15 THRUST WASHER - LARGE CRANK .015       £5.34 EACH  
1 x 144195/30 THRUST WASHER - LARGE CRANK .030       £5.34 EACH  
2 x 144195/5 THRUST WASHER - LARGE CRANK .005         £5.34 EACH  

I can resell the unused ones on ebay if need be, o keep them for next time I mince the engine....