AdamSindrey

I've got one that blew it's head gasket... (probably got a manifold with some carbs somewhere as well). Free if you want to come and pick it up from Potters Bar in Herts. This came out of my first TR7 when I bought it.  According to the previous owner, it went the day before (it was advertised as running). It's been undercover for 3 years, but last time I tried it, still turned over fine - just no compression because of the gasket.

As Mr XYV said, if someone is giving something for nothing, something won't be right with it... so you'll end up stripping it down anyway.

Let me know if you're interested. ;)

Thanks for the engine Ellis  ;D    Getting it out of the car was much easier than putting it in!

Has anyone previous experience with the fast road cam from Piper cams?  What kind of extra modifications are needed for it to accept the cam shaft? Would the power really lack below the 2000-2500rpm range?

http://www.pipercams.co.uk/NewPiperWeb/redesign/05cams/triumph_cam.pdf

I'm trying to rebuild this TR7 engine and coupled with a high flow filter, sports pipe and possibly a fast road camsahft make it in to a bit of a sleeper  ;D

It's worth asking about for cams that do and don't work.

It's also worth noting that it's totally pointless to put in a cam that is too much for the engine - so don't be greedy.

If you're going to put in a radical cam make sure you get the whole thing balanced etc so that it is able to rev to the limit. No use in the thing only coming on power at 6k when your engine will only do 5k. You will have a fast car by going for a lesser cam.

Might be worth checking out Kent Cams?

Scrap all of what I just said I want about 120 hp from the engine.    :P

a rebuilt engine with a hi flow air filter and a sports pipe will make how much power?  Thats on an 1850 exh manifold which is slightly more restrictive. 

Do HS8s go on to a TR7 engine without to much trouble?

Sprint pistons fit and are higher compression, what benefits/draw backs could arise if they were fitted? 

Thanks, Adam

1850 m/f is very restrictive... much though I hate to be a party pooper, if you want the power, is probably easier/cheaper to get a sprint engine.. the 1850 exh m/f is 'orrible, and the tubular design from TT (from memory) goes under the subframe reducing ground clearance quite a bit.  It's all well and good bolting on HS8's, cams etc, but if the gas can't get out of the engine well, then it's gonna struggle..  I had a standard (tired) 1850 lump in my dolly for a looong time, only engine related mod was a Janspeed exhaust (a must, and far better than the Rimmers rubbish), and did several road rallies and a stage in it..I'd spend the money on the handling (& brakes!) first..

p.s. the valve cut outs in the Sprint pistons are the wrong shape/position for an 8v head..

[quote by=AdamSindrey link=Blah.pl?b=tr78,m=1139602618,s=12 date=1140097346]Scrap all of what I just said I want about 120 hp from the engine.    :P [/quote]

I have a Triumph Tune "fast road"cam (TT10204) in my TR7 (dhc) This produces around 135 BHP (Din) after setting it up on a rolling road with TT valves etc.. The good thing is that it pulls very strong from 1500rpm
Well at least it did till it was lead up in 1998, but it's revival is near ....  ;D

[quote by=AdamSindrey link=Blah.pl?b=tr78,m=1139602618,s=15 date=1140168101]And where can you get such goodies  ;D[/quote]

Just forgot, it has also K&N filters on the SU's (HS6) with about 2" long trumpets and tubular exhaust manifold.
If you're going to use the TR7 engine in a Dolomite you'll lose some power because of the not so very well flowing cast iron exhaustmanifold.

[quote by=AdamSindrey link=Blah.pl?b=tr78,m=1139602618,s=18 date=1140181195]so what in total has your engine had done to it?  [/quote]

Well than, in a nutshell ....
The bottom end is standard save for a much needed rebore and a lightened  flywheel (munis 1,5 kg if I remember well);
Head scimmed (now runs at approx 10  : 1 compression ratio);
Stainless steel valves with uprated single springs and bronze alloy valveguides plus Fast Road Camshaft;
Carburators HS6 with ram Pipes and deep KN filters and new needles (set up on a rolling road);
4-2-1 tubular exhaust manifold with 2" bore exhaust system;
Lumenition ignition kit for standard distributor plus some tinkering with the advance timing.

After that it run for 50.000 km without being touched (only new oil + filter every 10.000 km) It avaraged between 11 and 12 km per litre fuel.
And then the tinworm got into the body .... :'(

Bear in mind that when you're using a camshaft with a reground profile you almost certainly need thicker valve shims than the standard ones.

As the work was carried out over 10 years ago it's better to contact Moss or S&S for availability etc. By the way S&S also do various grades off tune for the 8V

Oh and leave the HS8 on the shelve, not worth the trouble compared to a HS6.

[quote by=davesideways link=Blah.pl?b=tr78,m=1139602618,s=22 date=1140360517]a sprint motor in it for about £10 [/quote]

Dave, do you have a Sprint engine lying around for £10 ???
As a thrifty Dutchie I am always interested in one for that kind of money  ;D

Archived