Best Reto Fit Engine

Goody

After reading MJD14's posting and forgive if this had been asked before:

What is the best replacement engine for a Herald 1200?
Wanted:  increse in power and lower RPM at speeds around 60 to 70 mph.  A larger 4 cyl or a 6 cyl form a GT6 or Vitesse?  What engine drops in with less work?  What problems when upgrading the rear?  

Feel free to lead me to the proper post.

I have now started in earnest the restoration of my 65 Conv.  This will be a complete frame off.  If I re-engine, now is the time.  I am not a purest but this is such a nice rust free car that while I want a larger engine I do not want to destroy the car in such a way that someone could not put it back to orignal.  

i agree with beefertoo, I run the 1500 twin carb through a D-type O/D box and a 3.63 diff. (13/60 Estate).  I am no speed merchant, but it gives me plenty of torque for towing and gives me effortless cruising, but I am still trying to improve my MPG as I am running an SAH inlet manifold with twin Strombergs, and I'm not convinced it suits the 1500. (Looks good however!)... Mark.

Ditto, the 1500 herald I owned a few years ago was a hoot. No good for thrashing at 6000+rpm, but a nice torquey engine that just slots straight in. assuming it is not a MK1 chassis. If fitted to an OD box it works a treat. Mine retained the 4.11 diff, so pulled away pretty sharpish, but with the od was pretty relaxed at 70mph. A 3.63 would be even more relaxed, but not quite as nippy. Maybe a 3.89, use the canleys table to help http://www.canleyclassics.com/infodatabase.asp?article=diff
A strong sense of agreement is emerging....

I owned a 1200 herald for about 5 years, in that time i put in a 1360 x 2 and finally a 2000 vittesse engine and all ancilieries. Radiator was a squeeze but sorted in the end. My mate has owned it for the last 15 months, it has always been an everyday used car,  still going sweet. I struggle putting pics on here or would put some on. regards Dave

Oh, that could be entertaining. I reckon the best bit would be megajolt, but I supect the OP wants a simple and easy increase in power without anything too extreme. I reckon a UK spec 1500 would be ideal. IMHO of course. But saying that a few tweeks never go amiss ;)

Cheapest is probably buy a complete rotten car.
However, 1500 engine about £100 dressed if a bprivate seller, OD box £200+, and the prop you will probably need making to fit. Depends if you are going to use a single or 3 rail box. If the 3 rail a viteese non od is about the right length, but if single rail it will be a tad too long. Can squeze it in by spacing the engine forward a tad though.

Archived