VITESSE ENGINE WILL NOT FIRE UP

essjaycarp

Hi all,
another bit of help please.
The car has been off road for 7 years.
New petrol now out of a cannister to try to get it started.
Unleaded fuel with octane booster.
Carbs stripped and no sticking needle valve, it functions fine with the floats floating as they should and closing off the needle valve
Float height set to 19mm as per manual.
Tappets all reset from cold. ( 7 years of cold!)
Coolant system re done and new water pump.

Mechanical pump pushing fuel into carbs.
Carbs filling up with fuel
Spark from HT leads
Spark from coil to distributor,
Distributor cap spot on
Plug elecrode gaps reset and cleaned
Seems to be a vacuum to draw fuel into cylindrs as the plugs are getting wet with fuel

BUT it will not fire up. It is as if I had taken the dizzy off and refitted it 180 degrees out. But it worked when it went to bed 7 years ago!

The car did fire up and run the other day for around a minute,  but after I turned it off and it will not start again
Starter motor working and cranking engine : not a high torque one, just the standard spec starter motor.

Battery new
Ran it flat turning car over but had jump leads on hand.
SO I have fuel going in
Fuel seems to be in cylinders, sparks are present from spark plugs, pump is pushing fuel fine but not firing.

I have electronic ignition fitted, I do not know how to check this but would assume as the car ran for a short period, although very lumpy, then the electronic ignition was ok?
PLEASE HELP.
I thought I had this nailed, but I am struggling...
Thank you

9950 wrote:
Hi all,
another bit of help please.
The car has been off road for 7 years.
New petrol now out of a cannister to try to get it started.
Unleaded fuel with octane booster.
Carbs stripped and no sticking needle valve, it functions fine with the floats floating as they should and closing off the needle valve
Float height set to 19mm as per manual.
Tappets all reset from cold. ( 7 years of cold!)
Coolant system re done and new water pump.

Mechanical pump pushing fuel into carbs.
Carbs filling up with fuel
Spark from HT leads
Spark from coil to distributor,
Distributor cap spot on
Plug elecrode gaps reset and cleaned
Seems to be a vacuum to draw fuel into cylindrs as the plugs are getting wet with fuel

BUT it will not fire up. It is as if I had taken the dizzy off and refitted it 180 degrees out. But it worked when it went to bed 7 years ago!

The car did fire up and run the other day for around a minute,  but after I turned it off and it will not start again
Starter motor working and cranking engine : not a high torque one, just the standard spec starter motor.

Battery new
Ran it flat turning car over but had jump leads on hand.
SO I have fuel going in
Fuel seems to be in cylinders, sparks are present from spark plugs, pump is pushing fuel fine but not firing.

I have electronic ignition fitted, I do not know how to check this but would assume as the car ran for a short period, although very lumpy, then the electronic ignition was ok?
PLEASE HELP.
I thought I had this nailed, but I am struggling...
Thank you

Spark....the one thing you did not mention was, ....plug out attached to lead and then earth....was the plug sparking?

Hi all

plugs are getting wet so fuel going in
Dizzy had not been moved
New gaskets used
water pump body was off and new gaskets used
On the other end of the inlet manifold there is a connector going to the smiths heater valve, I disconnected that and put new fibre washes and sealant on a bolted it all up.

I can just assume timing is out now. I do not know how to do that but need to learn.
Not sure how to check if No 1 is firing in the right place

All HT leads connected up in the correct order to each cylinder from the distributor

Set the crank to Top Dead Centre  by the gauge on the pulley wheel.
Take off the rocker cover.
Look at the rockers on No.1 and No.6 bores.
One will have the valves slightly open - that is NOT the firing cylinder.
If No.1's valves are slightly open,  turn crank one revolution, when its valves will be closed and No.1 is on the firing stroke.

Now look at the rotor arm.
Is it pointing at the No.1 plug lead contact?
If not, correct by re-inserting in the cap.
Check the order of the rest from there.
NB!  the order goes ANTI-clockwise!

Next time you try to start, use your jump leads with the 'donor' vehicle's engine running, don't wait until you have run down your Vitesse battery.  Bad for the battery to run it flat, and better for the engine to have full volts until you get tired.

I note your point about wet plugs, with the supposition that fuel is getting in there in the right quantities at the right time.  But try some "KwikStart" AKA "Start ya b*st*rd" spray as a diagnostic test.    If it starts and runs for a few moments on that, then it's not an ignition problem but a fuelling one.

JOhn

to check timing without a strob ..you dont need a strobe as the electronic unit works as a switch just as the old points sos asmall pea bulb connected between coil neg and earth will alight as the leccy unit triggers just the same as when you had points .

turn engine slowly till lamp  just lights and look at the timiming pointer

do take out the HT king lead or or she may fire up.

wet plugs can be due to lack of choke and continual attemps to fire up, the fuel builds up as wet and unburnt , the culprit may be the choke just is not giving enough richness to fire up a cold engine .

Pete

In your attempts to start the car after you first had it running you may have built up a lot of fuel in the cylinders and possibly the manifold - hence wet plugs.

Take all the plugs out and with no choke spin the engine over for a period of time but keep back as any surplus fuel will be blasted out of the plug holes.  When nothing more comes out replace plugs and try to start again but initially with no choke.

Although there is no need to do it please do not have any plugs in the plug leads. This can cause any fuel blasted out of the plug holes to ignite in the engine bay as an earthed plug resting on the engine head/block sparks.  Been there - done that  :-/

If you still have plug wetting problems (check each cylinder to see if one is a particular problem) you may need to leave the plugs out while the car is standing for an extended period of time to let any traces of fuel evaporate.  

MUT

Thanks everyone for the input. I have taken notes and learnt a lot there.

When I built the carbs back up. It appears I have put oil in that is way too heavy preventing the pistons rising up in the body of the carb. Not sure if this would impact on initial firing up though as the carb piston is raised up anyway whe the choke bar is rotated via choke cable.

I ran out of time and car gone off to a classic car guy who is good with Triumphs. I talked him through all I had done. His first line to follow was the heavy oil in the dash pots and take it from there.
Static timing showed car was set up ok, all leads correct from distributor to correct cylinder etc.
I will write solution notes up when the car comes back. It hurts as I did not manage to do it myself even though I had set it up running in the past.
I thought engine oil was OK for the dash pots, but he said it had to be a pretty light oil.
Once again I really appreciate all you taking time to help me. I have learnt a lot there

Cheers
Ess

Thanks everyone for the input. I have taken notes and learnt a lot there.

When I built the carbs back up. It appears I have put oil in that is way too heavy preventing the pistons rising up in the body of the carb. Not sure if this would impact on initial firing up though as the carb piston is raised up anyway whe the choke bar is rotated via choke cable.

I ran out of time and car gone off to a classic car guy who is good with Triumphs. I talked him through all I had done. His first line to follow was the heavy oil in the dash pots and take it from there.
Static timing showed car was set up ok, all leads correct from distributor to correct cylinder etc.
I will write solution notes up when the car comes back. It hurts as I did not manage to do it myself even though I had set it up running in the past.
I thought engine oil was OK for the dash pots, but he said it had to be a pretty light oil.
Once again I really appreciate all you taking time to help me. I have learnt a lot there

Cheers
Ess

Thanks for the update - feedback is always appreciated.

The correct oil is indeed thin, an SAE 10 or 20 grade, but a lot of us use 20W50 engine oil with no problems.  Straight 30 and thicker may be too much.  

When you put the cars back together did you ensure that the jets were central to the needles.  When I bought Woodie it ran fine (previous owner had had the cards restored professionally) but gradually it became harder to start and especially restart when warm, and fuel consumption was getting 'orrible.

When we were checking the car in preparation for the RB(R)R we looked at the problem and found that one piston was sticking because some how the piston had shifted in relation to the jet and once centralised all was fine (and hoping that the time being off centre has not worn the jet).

When the piston is lifted it should drop steadily and bottom out with a satisfying 'clunk' even with the oil in the dashpot which is primarily to stop piston flutter.

MUT

When ever I have messed about with the distributor and not sure where I'm at, I do this, and pretty much as John described: take out No.1 plug and turn engine until compression felt by  thumb over hole (push it in 4th gear), that's the compression stroke. I back off to 10deg BTDC and get the rotor arm pointing to No.1 lead. With the ignition on and, with plug in the lead and earthed,. I then turn the distributor until I can see the spark plug spark, tighten up. That has always been good enough to start and doesn't need the rocker cover being removed, finish off with strobe..