body swaps and engine swaps

Sam C

Hi all

Im sure someone will know this off the top of their head:

What are the rules when it comes to changing the body, chassis or engine of a car i.e. at what point have you really created a new car and so have to deal with DVLA issues?

I am thinking of buying another GT6 that is the same model and year as mine. I plan to then take all the 'good bits' of one and make a really good car, then sell the other car made up of all the 'less good bits'. This must be quite common.

It would be nice to hang onto my current registration document because it happens to be registered on my birthday, which is nice. But I want to use the body off the other car and maybe even the chassis, engine and gearbox if they all turn out to be better than what I've got now. In other words, and in an extreme case, I'd in effect be swapping the registration documents for the cars (which can't be right)!

Basically I've got myself confused about all this!

Cheers

Sam

It rerally depends on what you tell the DVLA to start with.

Putting the good bits of the donor onto your current car, can't see a problem and you wouldn't need to declare it.

Putting your reg plate and  commission plate onto the donor vehicle as it's all better than the current one is effectively 'ringing' a vehicle. Risky. But only if you told DVLA or got caught. At some point you'd need to change the colour and engine numbers with them as well.  Mind if you've got two identical vehicle types registered to yourself and you started swapping engine numbers and colours between the two they might notice anyway and start investigating.

There's a points sytem when building a car from a donor. To keep the original donor registration you need a certain points total accumulated from the original bits.

If you were to rebuild a Triumph from a collection of previously unconnected bits, then you'd end up with a age registration relating to the youngest component, or more likely a q plate.
I've recently helped someone who'd ditched his rotten '63 Herald tub from a car he'd owned 20 odd years and replaced with a Bond tub (64-66). DVLA wanted to give it a Q plate but we convinced them in the end and it got a decent age related plate.

Best way, just keep quiet (shhh) as swapping too much may well be frowned upon by the authorities.

Mark

cliftyhanger wrote:
id is the chassis. Rest can be replaced.

And remember that the "chassis number" is the commission number on the plate on the nearside front bodytub.  Don't under any circumstances give the DVLA any other number which might, for example, be on a tag on the chassis itself, as this will open the door to bureacratic  hell.

I think this information from the <a href="http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_180218.pdf">DVLA</a> may be what you need for the facts.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_180218.pdf wrote:
To keep the original registration number:
Cars and light vans must use:
* the original unaltered chassis or unaltered monocoque
bodyshell (that is, the body and chassis as one unit);
or
* a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same
specification as the original. A receipt from the dealer
or manufacturer is required.
ANDthe vehicle must have two other major components
- as listed below - from the original vehicle.
* Suspension (front and back)
* Axles (both)
* Transmission
* Steering assembly
* Engine
If a second-hand chassis or monocoque bodyshell is
used, the vehicle must have Individual Vehicle Approval
(IVA) or Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) (see section 11). A
'Q' registration number will then be issued (see section 7)

And from a bit further down that document.
This is the rule that allowed the Herald into Bond Equipe GT4S to get a sensible plate.  Basically an original 1200 Herald with 'bolt-on' components replaced ie rear tub and bonnet.
Mark

6. Reconstructed Classics
The reconstructed classic category is intended to support the restoration of unregistered classic vehicles. Reconstructed vehicles must comprise of genuine period components all over 25 years old, and of the same specification. The appropriate vehicle enthusiasts club for the marque (make) must confirm in writing that following inspection, they authenticate that the vehicle is a true reflection of that marque and that it meets the above criteria. This written confirmation must support an application to the local office. An age related registration number will be issued based on the age of the youngest component used.
Reconstructed classics or replica classic vehicles built to original specifications using a mixture of new and used components, will be issued a Q registration number. The vehicle must have a IVA, SVA or MSVA.

Thanks all this is most helpful.

So I think my plan will work but I assume that it is all dependant on the 'additional' bits all being genuinely original, rather than having been replaced at some point in the vehicles history? I think the only bits that can be are the steering components and the axels - which I'll be keeping hold of. Everything else either definately has, or probably has, been changed in the vehicle's life.

Or is it the case that a 'like for like replacement' was ok at a previous point, and it's just 'in one go' that matters? That would be a bit weird but of course over 40 years most bits will wear out and be replaced!!

Also, what do people do about the VIN number and other numbers that are on the body tub? If you swap over the body tub presumably then you must swap over those numbers - since the numbers have to tally with your registration document.

Similarly, can you just take them off altogether and print new ones that are correct for the log book you're running it on?

Something feels wrong about even touching that bit of the car!

Bit confusing this!