Jacking points for rear tyre change

Dibnah

Evening All

It's time for some new rear tyres, I'll probably need to point out to the tyre fitters where to jack the rear of the Stag.

My understanding is that the rear of the diff is ok (with some wood to protect the diff from the jack), I have previously jacked on the ends of the vertical stud for the bush on the rear subframe in front of and adjacent to the road wheel.

I've been told that jacking up the rear subframe risks shearing the bushes.

Expert comment please!

(I've tried the search function but not much in the way of results).

Yes, the subframe bushes can shear if lifting via the subframe.  Tyre fitters tend to have two post lifts with the adjustable arms.  I either help them out or stay to point out where and where not to put the lift points.  Usually I say under the vertical stud as you also have done.

Julian

Thanks for the replies. I am uneasy about trusting the Stag to the tyre fitters, I've never found a tyre fitting place that I trust, but it's a pain to have to remove wheels, put them in another vehicle drive to the tyre place etc.

I'm planning to fit Uniroyal Rainexperts

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the actual jacking points are the rear stud under the sill .

thats assuming you trust the bodywork,   as mine are missing .not fitted when rebuilt in the 90s

ive always used the trailing arm under the spring , its safe and visible

or you need  to leave hanging,     place  axle stands on the cross member under the arm pivots

Pete