Back to back tyre testing

John Bonnett

As you probably know we are fresh back from our very first competitive event in the new car and I was absolutely astounded by how well the 155 R 13 Michelin XASs worked. I was not expecting great things from a 70s design of tyre but the amount of grip was simply amazing.

It would be interesting to compare lap times with this set up against a set of for example Yokohama A539 in 180 60 13. This would lower the gearing slightly so might be a trifle unfair.

I shall be parting with the chrome wire wheels and fitting either standard steel wheels or Minilites. So if anyone would like to pick up a set of wires and spline adaptors at a bargain price give me a bell.

Quoted from byakk0
For some reason wires just seem to fit the design you have created.
I suppose you are not too keen on doing the swapping game for shows...I don't blame you. I wouldn't mind wires myself for the sake of shows, but I'd rather not have to worry about the hassle.

I think you're right Hazen, they do suit the car but perhaps less so if it remains in bare aluminium. My original vision was seeing the car in Rosso Red with chrome wire wheels which I think would be a stunning combination. My next choice of French Blue would I think also have looked very nice. But in bare aluminium I'm not sure. Perhaps it would look just as good on solid wheels; either alloys or steel.

I've never been a great one for car shows; personally I find them pretty boring although each to his own. I derive a huge a amount of pleasure from driving my cars and here we have the crux of the matter. I'm not a buffer or polisher and doubt if I would have the patience or the time to keep the chrome wires looking their best. It takes longer to clean and polish one wheel than to clean the rest of the car. If the car were only used on fine days for quiet drives it would not be such an issue but that's not my way.

But one thing I am very keen on are the tyres and whichever route I decide to take it will be with the XASs.