Glenn

I would be grateful if folk can advise me on their recommended brands of tyres to fit to the 2000.

I've got a fairly quick 2.5 saloon and I'm looking for something that will give me good grip.  However I am not wealthy so I don't want anything that costs a bomb and/ or wears too quickly.  Summer use only but this will include frequent use on rainy roads.  I've got Stag alloys and was hoping to go for 195/70/14s.

Visited my local tyre seller today but I'm none the wiser really.  He's a top bloke, low overheads and always gives the best price.  He's happy to get me anything I want but he was trying to sway me towards Korean rubber as offering the best value for money and quality - particularly Nexen and Khumo.

I've never tried either of these brands.  I had been thinking Firestone or Goodyear but he doesn't think they justify the additional expense.

I'm completely in the dark and would really appreciate some helpful words from you here!

I ended up with Maxxis tyres on mine - very very impressed, good grip, particularly in the wet, no squealing, low noise, seem to be wearing well and cost about £44 each.  They are the standard 175/13s.

Don't economise too much though, I fitted a set of cheapos (well £50 each, 205/60/15s)  to my Passat, made it nasty to drive.  switched back to Dunlops (£75 each) asap......

Speed rating was the problem on my Passat, should have been V rated  (150mph) but the cheaper ones were 130mph rated.  Not illegal, the tyres only have to be suitable for the use to which the vehicle is put.

I think the lighter construction of the lower rated tyres just wasn't enough to cope with the weight and torque of the car.

Rule of thumb for speed rating is top speed of car +20mph

Cheers - I hadn't even considered the speed rating. 

I'd guess the top speed of my car (PI engine on HS6s, manual overdrive box) would be no more than 110mph.  So should I be looking for an H rated tyre?

I think the Khumo is a T (118mph), not sure about the Nexen.

I'm tempted by a traditional brand - might "look" more correct for the car's vintage?

I have just bought a new set to go on my Stag (same wheel and size as the ones of my 2500S though)

195/70/14 tyres, £104 for the set including delivery!!!!! (okay, so you still have to get them fitted and balanced but that is a bargain!!

Corsa brand tyres, run them for years and they are great.

www.jettyres.co.uk

[quote by=Rust_Spot link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1175284796,s=4 date=1175346585]I'm tempted by a traditional brand - might "look" more correct for the car's vintage?[/quote]

Can't speak for the Uk but in New Zealand Kumho's are made from patterns / moulds from firestone (perhaps Dunlop) that are no longer used.

So they might look more correct than you'd think.

BTW 195/70/14 is agreat size just had them fitted myself a few months  ago, big improvement over 185 70 13's (although I miss my hubcaps.

Thanks Doig - yes he showed me a Kumho 758 (sorry I'd been spelling it wrong) and it looked quite an old fashioned pattern.  The ones he had in stock were a reinforced van tyre, not sure I want that - aren't they really hard rubber?

Alan - great link, cheers.  Don't think anything is going to come close to that for a bargain.  Do they grip well and how many miles do they last for with you?  What are they like on a wet road?  I'm in nothern Scotland so the summer is usually very wet.

They degraded due to age after about 5 years (sidewalls cracking) long before they wore out! Car only does a low mileage but they seemed to be lasting very well.

They were on the car for 2 RBRR's, Craig Bennett tried to get the back end to break out on the twisty bit through Monmouth and gave up!

I would highly recommend them.

Running Vredestein on the TR6 - seem fine to me.

Don't economise too much, I bought a Mk3 Spit with four different makes of tyre on, none of which I had ever heard of. Nearly sh*t myself on a wet roundabout. New pair of Pirellis (it was the 1980s) on the back and what a difference; you could be a hooligan and get away with it.

Yep, you beat me in replying to this thread Col - for what I had put down as cheapo tyre the results were astounding - they made an overloaded Mk1 2000 with tired suspension stick to the road better than a polybushed, slightly stiffened and lowered Mk2 PI.  Amazing!

It's good to hear that many of the mid price brands nowadays are very good.  I've always been a low to mid price man and in the past some of my choices have made emergency underpants an essential addition to the car's toolkit.

The more traditional brands I could find in this size were Goodyear GT2, Dunlop SP200 and Firestone Fuel Savers.  They are all quite a bit dearer than the mid-price choices.  Had the Goodyears on an old Transit I had at work and they didn't grip very well at all - admittedly this could be down to Mr Ford!  Had Dunlops on a Mini and they were good but wore quickly.  I still fancy the Firestones but the tyre seller thinks they are a bit expensive, old fashioned, noisey and give a rough ride.

I am very temped by Mr Chatterton's recommended Corsa brand which they seem to be virtually giving away.  However I try to give this local guy as much trade as I can as he's a very honest, hard working bloke who gives great deals.  I might be £20 more but I think I'll go see him tomorrow and get him to order 4 Kumhos.

Archived