MK3 Spit Tyre Size???

jamie31888

I have personally fitted 155 80,   165 70,    175  70, and 185 60 13" tyres on spitfires over the years. I think the only real advantage of the wider tyre is that they can look better. On standard wheels I would stick with 155's on a Mk3 or a bit wider on a Mk4 short shaft model. The narrower tyres avoid any problems with rubbing the rear arches or front wings, and on a road car I haven't noticed any benefit in handling with wider tyres fitted, only heavier steering.

Mark

93 wrote:
I have personally fitted 155 80,   165 70,    175  70, and 185 60 13" tyres on spitfires over the years. I think the only real advantage of the wider tyre is that they can look better.

Ditto. Been there done that as well over the years and I've just about come full circle on this issue :X I've recently changed from 185/60-13 on the Spit 2.5 to 165/70-13 and I'm loving it  :) I can actually park the thing now without tearing bicep muscles and no longer have to get all my fillings refitted after driving through Edinburgh ;D ;D

It's quite a powerful car for a Spit and I can detect a slight loss of traction but for normal road use it's virtually undetectable.

We now use the Spit almost exclusively for road work and touring (which wasn't the original intention  :B) and for that sort of use it's a much nicer car with the 165s on it.