Herald rubber bumper strips/mouldings.

oldmetalhead82

The white rubber bumpers were optional on the original 948 series (except in North America, particularly the US, where they were standard equipment); at that point, the metal retaining strips were riveted to the valences. From the introduction of the 1200 series and thereafter, the rubber bumpers were standard equipment (at which time the retaining strips were spot welded on). As did the valences underneath, the retaining strips tended to rust, as the rubber could hold large quantities of dirt that would hold moisture. And, for a period of time, new rubber bumpers were not readily available. They are now, but they're not inexpensive!

Thanks for the information Andy, i have to say i prefer to see them without and as my 1200 is'nt a show car i've already removed the rear strips, unfortunately a previous owner had used about a full tube of silicon sealer to stick them on, so a lot of careful cutting and scraping  was needed with a Stanley knife ! There is the remains of a retaining strip on the drivers side of which i will remove with a cutting disc but not on the passenger side and they are both metal panels, where as the main valance is fibreglass.