BUMPER END CAPS REQUIRED

ianb

1218 wrote:
I agree, I prefer the rubber bumpers and they were a big selling point in the early 60's as no other car had them.  Heralds were very much renown for their safety, believe it or not!

Here's a pic of mine with those bumpers.....  I personally prefer them with white wheel rims too, as they match, later cars from about 1968 seemed to have silver rims and the white of the bumpers against the white of the rims just seems nicer....

Is there a Royal Blue 1200 Club out there somewhere???

M.

Hi Mark, yes, Royal Blue is a nice colour although mine came out of the factory painted code 18 which is described as gun metal although to me it looks more like Wedgewood. Anyhow it was repainted by a previous owner.
On the subject of colour how's this stunning colour. Obviously an early model with no rubber bumpers, but is that not a smashing colour. I know its an artists painting but I wonder if there ever was colour like that?

heraldcoupe wrote:
The brochure car is Lichfield Green, theoretically the same colour as Colin's Coupe shown above, though Colin's car appears a lot darker than it should in the photos.

There's also this one:
http://www.triumph-herald.com/4010pu.htm

Cheers,
Bill.

Cheers Bill, that's interesting but neither of these paint finishes come anywhere near that gorgeous green. I just adore it. I would swop mine tomorrow for that beauty.
Mind you these artists have a knack of making the cars look better than they are and giving them the waoo factor.
What about those diminutive passengers , especially the two in the back enjoying the (roomy comfort?).
Ian

1125 wrote:

Hi Mark, yes, Royal Blue is a nice colour although mine came out of the factory painted code 18 which is described as gun metal although to me it looks more like Wedgewood. Anyhow it was repainted by a previous owner.
On the subject of colour how's this stunning colour. Obviously an early model with no rubber bumpers, but is that not a smashing colour. I know its an artists painting but I wonder if there ever was colour like that?

Your car definitely looks Royal Blue to me.  Wedgwood is a pale "sky blue" colour.  

M.

1218 wrote:

Your car definitely looks Royal Blue to me.  Wedgwood is a pale "sky blue" colour.  

M.

Yes Mark it definitley is Royal Blue code 56. It was resprayed by a previous owner, but it came out of the Factory in paint code 18 which is called Gunmetal.

Ian

I've just received my new rubber bumpers today!!
However the straight section at the rear is short of reaching the overriders by about 7mm each end.
Can anyone tell me if this is correct.  My Herald is totally original.
Also strangely the front centre section is a couple of inches too long?

Ian

heraldcoupe wrote:
The front overrider width differs between 1200 and 13/60, with a corresponding difference in bumper length. The current bumper sets are one-size-fits-all, so some length adjustment becomes necessary at the front.

Cheers,
Bill.

Ok, accept that. So I trim the front to the correct size. What about the back . Do I use some of the spare  from the front and glue it to the back.  Obviously the back should be longer too and could be trimmed to length!
Would that not make sense?
Incidently I (won) those bumper end caps on Ebay. I'm getting close!!

Ian

I don't feel able to comment on the back ones with any authority. From memory, there is a minimal gap between the overrider and bumper, but I don't have an original car to hand to verify on that count. I have a few stored at the farm, but they're four miles away. Suffice to say cutting bits from one to lengthen the other isn't the intention of the manufacturer.

Do you know if your overriders are original? How is their alignment? Bear in mind that these will have been removed from the car at some point, so satisfy yourself that they have been re-fitted correctly. I've even seen LH and RH overriders transposed in the past, it's amazing what enthusiasm and brute force can achieve,

Cheers,
Bill.

Thanks for your info Bill. The glue idea was a joke of course.
I agree with your comments re bodges. I have seen some examples when lack of knowledge and impatience combine to produce disastrous results. The first tool of choice often being a hammer!
Gladly not here. A retired engineer with loads of time and patience in equal measure and a desire for perfection.
Back to the bumper. There is a very slight tolerance of adjustment on the overrider but since this must primarily line up with the tail light there is very little room for manoeuvre.
Maybe there should be a gap but at 3/8in it does not look nice!

Ian

Thanks Mark, nice shots and nice car! You can check the gap with a feeler guage. I'll check mine with a brick!
Seriously I am getting somewhere I've been tweaking away all day gradually moving the overriders inboard while retaining the alignment with the tail lights to close the gap. Not easy!!

Cheers

Ian

1218 wrote:
How are you able to adjust the rear overriders?  Mine are fixed (from memory, since I haven't removed them since about 1976)!!!

Mark

Hi Mark, the overriders are attached by two bolts which come through from the boot and engage into captive nuts which are able to slide laterally to allow adjustment. Initially to line up with the tail lights.
If your rubber bumpers are original it would be very interesting to know the exact length.
The ones which I was supplied with are 46 7/8ths ins

My aftermarket rubber cap is exactly 1182mm wide, with square-cut ends. It's a few mm short, but I could possibly move the right over-rider a few mm inboard. These rubbers were fitted about ten years ago, and aren't a perfect fit, but the current crop may be better.

I haven't cleaned them in a while, and hadn't realised how dirty they are. Might give them a wipe over this afternoon  :B

Hi Nick isn't it amazing here I am looking at a photo from the antipodes in a flash. It gets stranger since my bumper measures 1190 and I still have a gap of 5 to 6mm at both ends. That's after moving the overriders inboard and having increased the lateral adjustment on the overrider itself.
I think I will have to settle for that.

Ian

1125 wrote:
If your rubber bumpers are original it would be very interesting to know the exact length. The ones which I was supplied with are 46 7/8ths ins
I just happened to be near my '62 1200 with a tape measure. Mind you, the rubber bumpers, while original, are quite dried out after almost 49 years, but from center tip to center tip (widest points, if you will) I measured 46 and 3/4".

Archived