MK3 BodyTub Mounting HELP!

jamie31888

There might be differences between years, but on all early spitfires I have been working on, there should be a alu spacer on the front outrigger (inner point; i.e. at the engine side of firewall) and another one on top of rear shock towers. Alu spacers was used on the front valences (bracket resting on pivot bracket at the frame) on mk 3 spitfire. Rubber washers only at the seat belt mounting points, no spacers at the box section behind heel board.

You can shim minor imperfections on the body tub dimensions that way (folding it like a banana!)

At this moment I am staring at the original 1960`s workshop manual, some three inches thick.
We have had this thread before, and the diagram does not show any rubber washers at all
However what we did was to use the rubbers on the front of the tub to outrigger to absorb any vibration at the tub mounts, and to take up any play due to body distortion to the tub( as there is quite a gap once mounted onto the outrigger
I can scan if necessary ,but the diagram clearly shows no rubber washers  

Partnr 621101 - Pad, mounting, safety harness fixing - in my mk 3 parts manual.
That's the only rubber I have found, but I have only experience with the early spitfires (and a single gt6+  us-import).

There must be some differences between years?

Would rubber washers - upon the alu spacers? - make any differences to noise?
Or would it be a bad idea (body tub not stiff enough etc?)

Right..........now clarified with various books
The very early Spits just had solid spacer/washers
The later model MK 3 introduced the rubber washer for the seatbelt mount
I have line drawings showing both examples
So in other words ............both are correct
The only one mounting point that DOES NOT require a washer/spacer is the end of front out rigger on inside of footwell