Windscreen fitting

Big Pj

Hi Guys,

My Spitfire 1500 is just about ready to go back on the road after I resprayed her late last year and rebuilt over the winter, however, the job I've been putting off is refitting the windscreen.  I've looked at the threads about this and am wary of atempting it, (I'm happy weilding spanners but this look's like it needs a bit more finnesse!).  My question is does anyone know a company close to Cannock in Staffs that would do this as the windscreen fitting companies I've called aren't interested?  My screen is fine and I've bought a new rubber from Rimmer Bros.  I'd even be happy to pay someone local from here who's done the job before and is happy to help?

Hello PJ,

fitting a windscreen is a knack soon acquired I found. One essential is to have the screen central in the aperture to start and to keep it there as it wants to creep sideways as you pull the cord. If the cord gets very tight there is something wrong and you need to go back and find out what.

Alec

People like Auto Windscreens/RAC and the like fit them
However, some silicon/washing up liquid, a piece of nylon cord and a helper will do the trick
By putting the nylon cord into the inner `trough` of the seal and hanging the two ends in the lower centre, offer the screen and seal up to the frame
Start the seal off at the  centre by pulling the lip over the frame lip
Then slowly ,gradually pull the cord while someone puts weight on to the screen so the rubber lip starts to sit over the screen edge all the way round
It may need a few clenched fist thumps on the screen for it to finally bed in

• 5 months later...

I have had the same problem on my 1500 as Freebird and the engineer had to put the old rubber back! I ordered the bits from Rimmer Bros but the seal was completely wrong! Does anyone know of  company that sells the right seal? Also, what on earth do you call the rubbers that sit on the doors to prevent water getting into the door panel at base of windows? I ordered door glass seals and got hard top door seals!! Groan!

Ruth

These are they and from a seller I have dealt with for a long time and trust
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/x4-TRIUMPH-Spitfire-GT6-DOOR-TOP-GLASS-WEATHERSTRIP-SEALS-Kit-/141367130159?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20ea23382f
and a windscreel seal too
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-Spitfire-MkIV-1500-GT6-Mk3-Windscreen-Rubber-Seal-1970-81-/191243601830?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c8701c7a6

Thank you, mjwman. I have the right window trims now but shall follow your advice for the windscreen rubber. Took her to Peter Baldwin last week and sat on his rolling road for an hour or so while he worked his magic and gave me 92bhp at 4,500rpm! Highly recommended! The car before me was the Talbot 90 that came third at Le Mans in 1930: beautifully restored and sounding amazing! Owned by a German dentist in Suffolk. I am in the wrong job!