Front Windscreen Seal

aaron77

Hi,

I've just finished removing the surface rust from around where the front windscreen sits. I now have to put the front windscreen in which shouldnt be too much hassle BUT I have no idea how to get the chrome strip back into the rubber! Has anyone out there got a clue????

This is a tricky job best left to the pro's

However if you want to tackle it yourself you need a special tool that you can easily knock up yourself.

I've got a picture of one in an old Leyland Factory Manual, I'll scan it at work tommorrow and post it here for you.

There was an article in one of the back issues about this, as I recall reading it. However, I don't recall which and there are a few back issues to choose from! Richard B is correct in the order though. Autoglass etc. will try and fit the trim last and will wonder why it doesn't work... The special tool can be bought from Chris Witor and I don't think it costs much.

CAroline

My first Mk1 2000 had a "professionally" replaced screen seal, done during the previous owner's tenure. Really poorly done job, managed to damage one of the metal trims on the inside of the screen.
I agree that the trim needs to go on before the assembly is put in the car, this is how I did it on our subsequent 2000. Does the Mk2 have the interior metal finishers like the Mk1? If so, take them off before fitting the seal.
The trim insertion tool is essential, though you will have to make your own or modify an existing tool. I used to stock a suitable type but they were expensive and consequently slow moving. The currently available multi-function windscreen tools have a fitting which can be modified to suit,
Cheers,
Bill.

How to use it

Insert with the aid of the special tool the chromium finisher strip. Keep the hook of the tool (open end up) in a vertical position and in firm engagement with inner flange of the weatherstrip as the tool is drawn along. Press the finisher strip firmly against the weatherstrip to permit the flange to engage with the recess in the finisher strip.

I also have a nice diagram showing how it is done but the file is to big to upload and I'm going out tonight so you'll have to wait until tommorrow I'm afraid.

P.S. the book has the screen going in first and then the strip being inserted, so it not impossible to do it that way.

[quote by=Doig link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1151274637,s=6 date=1151391891]P.S. the book has the screen going in first and then the strip being inserted, so it not impossible to do it that way.[/quote]

... but pretty close!
A similar stainless trim was used on the Herald 948 Coupe and Convertible. The isnstructions for installing the seal on those cars always put the trim on before the assembly was fitted to the car. On the later Spitfires and 2000 family, the trim is fitted after the screen, according to the factory notes.
I have tried installing the screen both ways on the 2000, I never succeeded in getting the trim in place after the screen went in, so I went back and did it the way I know, ie trim first. Others will say that this won't seat properly, ours worked fine and provided a watertight seal for five years. Car was recently sold with the front seal apparently remaining in good order and fitting well,
Cheers,
Bill.

• 5 weeks later...

Ive done loads of screen fittings in the past , dont try & put the trim on before you fit the screen as it comes off when you try & fit it. Use the tool described in the manual, put plenty of washing up liquid around the rubber then put the tool into the chrome trim & pull it round & you will find it goes in easily. Dont put the tool into the rubber as this tears it & doesn't work.

• 2 months later...

Hey there,

My windscreen seal on BB (2000 MKII)  was aparently replaced only about a month or so ago, yet there is still a small leak in the drivers side lower corner.

Can anybody tell me if it needs to be replaced again, or wheter it can be repaired with some sort of sealant.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Garreth

You are very lucky if the seal is 100% waterproof after fitting,  mine leaked, found the best way out was to visit Autoglass or similar plead stupidity whereon the nice man gave me a tube of their sealant ,put this between the glass and rubber and force in, wipe the rest away and hey presto dry feet!!! :D

A correctly installed seal will have flexible sealant applied to the glass and body faces of the seal. This is how it was done at the factory and is detailed in the workshop manual. I use a simple black roofing mastic, though the professional stuff will do the job equally well :-)
Cheers,
Bill.

I concur - I've used the black roofing sealant to good effect.

A warning, however. It may not necessarily be the windscreen seal!

I 'arranged' an insurance replacement once - had the screen replaced ... no change, got the guys back twice to reseal it ... no change. Turned out that a PO had accidentally misdirected water into the wing I think, via a welding 'repair' it was filling up with water and overflowing into the cabin!!!!

Archived