MK3 windscreen seal - Plain

stevegt6

Having had the front screen fitted couple of weeks ago, i decided i preferred the look without the bright trim.

Question is, can i get a plain black seal that will fit without the lip for the trim...?

I have found 'universal' windscreen seal which is plain and sold by the metre - I suspect most motors with this type of sealing will be similar in fitment and just differing in shape/size...

Also, anyone else had issues with the 'fit' of the seal - mine was a bit too long as when fitted to glass initially there was a section hanging over and required the seal to be pushed around before it looked like it fitted. I think this ill-fitting baggy seal is causing the side inner edges of seal to be off the screen - you can actually see the end/edge of the glass at the sides - which i am positive is not right.

Seal appears to fit and looks ok inside all round and also top and bottom outside.

If cant get plain seal, then a proper fitting OE one will do and i can carefully remove the flap for the trim...

Cheers
Steve

The cross-section of the Mk1-3 Spitfire windscreen seal matches that of the post-1961 Herald and Vitesse models. Given that the earlier Heralds had a plain windscreen seal with no finisher, with an identical windscreen and aperture shape to the later variants, this profile should fit the Spitfire screen and aperture equally well.
Now the catch - about 15 years ago I had a batch of early Herald windscreen seals made because there was no decent commercially available match for that early Herald profile. Those I commissioned are long sold out, while I've considered production of more, it's not likely to happen imminently in the current climate,

Cheers,
Bill.

Interesting info Rarebits - However.....I have GT6 mk3 (KE23006)

But agree with what you say about '...NO DECENT.....'

The bloke who fitted my screens said the seals i had were rubbish - far too hard (unlike the old ones - he had hoped i had the original seal intact)....because they are all made from recycled rubbish these days...

I have found a lot of parts, all from 'triumph suppliers' to be awful for quality - but once you start digging around you find that 'such a part' is the same from 'such a current motor' etc...

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Right, well.....i definitely need to replace screen seal - it was raining a little on way back from RR session and was leaking in at the lower corners....coming under screen between seal.

The edges of the seal down both sides do not touch the screen - you can see edge of screen

The seal is way too big (long) for the screen perimeter (as said earlier.....more crap parts) ...it was baggy when on screen.

Looking at VW bay van seals (plain black) - anyone used any seal other than 'standard'...???

Cheers
S

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

3669 wrote:
Just took my old screen out, my 10 year old seal is reusable but I couldn't get the ally trim in before.

Where did you get the plain seal from & is all still ok?

Got the plain seal from VW parts supplier on ebay - VW Camper T2 FRONT WINDSCREEN RUBBER SEAL 1968-79 211-845-121D NEW BAY BUS TYPE2 (171188720463)

All seems to be ok. The above needs cutting as too long....we used super-glue (one which stated rubber on the uses)

I had forgotten about posting pic....will try to remember tomorrow....

I have a stainless-steel finisher not being used (nor will it be) - if interested....although the 2 join finishers are missing

I might do same for rear window too....

• 3 weeks later...

Steve, if you still have the off-cut, any chance of some measurements of the cross-section of that VW Bay rubber? I need a new one for my Atlas and, the way it fits in your GT6, seems it might just trick the do! I'm guessing it's something like ...

Thanks, Richard

Looks like it might work! The Atlas glass is thicker (7mm cf. 6mm) and the outer lip (over the body) is about double (15mm cf. 8mm), but everything else is nearly identical. Just need to measure the circumference of a friend's Bay windscreen to see if I need 1 or 2.

Thanks again!

Richard