Re- Fitting parts into GT6 door shell help

GT6 1

As the title suggests I am about to re-fit all the parts into the door on GT6 Mk I. It was not me who took them out so apart from a blown up diagram of the door and parts I don't have any reference. door handles and locks seem fairly straight forward But there is the quarter light, glass, winder mechanism, rear channel, door handle connector bar etc.
not easy to take pics as most of it is in the door i know, but if anyone has any I would be grateful or a link to a picture etc. Hazen have you got this far with your doors ?

Ant. 🙂

yes, I just reassembled one. I have the fortune of not only having taken it apart, but I had 5 other's to use as reference. (Should I build a limo? )

put on 98 and 81 first. There's a little spring clip that ties the two together.
followed by 74. You may need to tighten it fully then run the window winder to its lowest position. Make note of the two rollers.

There are 3 brackets that hold #10 on, two are unmarked and one is #44. You'll want to install these next. Keep the bolts loose so they can move as needed.

Slip #10 in, as well as 90., and get them in the rough position but don't start the bolts into place yet.
Hopefully your glass is still in the channel. Slide the whole unit in. Now for the 2 rollers on #74. It takes a bit of fettling, but work the rollers till they slide into the channel on the bottom of the glass channel.
Slide the sides of the glass into the guides on both #10 and #90, connect these to their mounting brackets and tighten a little. You still need room to move them around. (I think the 2 brackets are welded to to 90)
You will find one of the screws accessible through a hole on the angled bit right there by the #44 in the diagram. It may/should have a rubber plug covering it.

84. It's an L bracket with felt. L at the bottom so the felt is up. This is the lower travel limit stop.
There is one last small piece not shown that is mounted to the door with 2 Phillips head screws. It fits near the center of the guide rail of #10. You should be able to fit it with the glass up. I think this is the upper travel limit stop.

It may take some fettling to get everything lined up so the winder easily runs the window up and down. The first few times you try you may find you need to assist it up or down.

Once you get it where you are mostly satisfied, tighten the guide rail bolts up just enough they won't easily move and fit the door to the body. You'll find it will take more loosening, readjusting and tightening to get the fit correct.

Hope that helps. I may not quite have it listed the way I actually did it, but you get the idea.
If you need pics I can get you some, but I didn't document my rebuild at all.

In fact, I plan on tearing down another door this week. I can take pics of the reverse process.

Thanks for the offer Hazen, think I have got it sorted just waiting for some new clips for weather strips, but most of it in.
One note, it seems later MK I doors including mine didn't have the lower window stop fitted at the bottom of the door but a smaller one higher up towards the center, similar size to the upper stop.

• 2 months later...