Passenger exterior door handle

Pete Arnold

912 wrote:
Is it possible to convert a non-locking one to a locking one by replacing the button with a key lock barrel?

Yes, it is. this is essentially how they changed between LHD and RHD configuration.
Early cars (until early 1962) had locking doors on both sides, but they used an entirely different locks and handles, so a conversion by this route would be a lot more work than it might appear,

Cheers,
Bill.

heraldcoupe wrote:

Yes, it is. this is essentially how they changed between LHD and RHD configuration.
Early cars (until early 1962) had locking doors on both sides, but they used an entirely different locks and handles, so a conversion by this route would be a lot more work than it might appear,

Cheers,
Bill.

Thanks Bill, most interesting.
So I assume, on my 1967 Vitesse, if I change the button to a locking barrel the passenger could then lock/unlock the door using a key?  The advantage would be that the passenger would not have to wait for the driver to get in and reach across to unlock the door from the inside.
Is it easy to do this conversion?

I recently bought a lock set which included a lockable left NOS door handle. It was a straight swap. If the handle is locked from the outside you can still open the door from the inside. Comparing the old and new handle it looks like you could just change the button with a locking one.