INTERMITTENT/NOT WORKING DOOR CATCHES

Chunky020

I am having trouble with both door catches!, driver side is intermittent to release and the passenger side wont open at all unless you thump the inside until the latch lets go!or you drive the car and it opens part way!, I have had a play with the drivers side this afternoon and adjusted the bolt from the push button so it now in contact with the lever( made no difference to how the latch operates)so still not working correctly,the pin seems to flip over ok!.when the door is open should the latching pin be at the top or bottom when closing the door?.
looking at new B post striker plates I have noticed that new ones have a straight internal vertical edge, mine are hooked out at the top of the catch(is this what is holding up the pin?

any tips appreciated

They are not the greatest of devices, though to be fair they are now very old.  Lubrication is good, especially the spring loaded wedge at the bottom of the striker plate.

The release problem is most likely that the internal handle spindle mounting plate has come loose and moved backwards on the door shell, effectively making the rod too short to fully disengage the catch.  Mine does this periodically.

Nick

had the same problem with my doors, so i brought new striker plates. and lubed the locks up, as they would bump open by 1/2". new door hinges helped as well.
you will find the profile on the striker plates, will needed to be filed on the top edge a bit. his will stop the door jamming when it is about to shut on the striker plate. taking some pictures, but the are to big to post here.

scotty

Tessa has similar problems with the driver's door in particular. Sometimes closes well but other times gives the impression of being closed but then flies open as I pull out of the drive. When opening, sometimes fine, sometimes remains apparently latched, normally releasable by pulling it fully closed (which isn't easy with the window up). I shall try some of these suggestions on it...