Out door car cover

MarkB

Can anyone recommend a good outdoor car cover for a GT6 Mk2. I have never really considered one before but as the car just sits outside all the time whilst I am working on my Vitesse I have noticed the bodywork deteriorating with rust appearing in several places and is starting to fester. I have most of the new panels to fit but probably won't start for another year. I need a g good quality one, rubber/plastic on the outside cloth inside type that is tailored for the GT6. Any suggestions/experience?

Thanks

I used a cheapish one temporarily while my car was outside the garage.in the end I took it off as it was wet underneath after raining and meant the car was sitting there soaking wet whereas without one it would dry off.

I think any cover will trap moisture regardless ,not so bad if you use the car regularly but not good if you have rust on it already and it is not being used.

I would consider making a timber frame with plastic roofing sheets to keep the rain off.it only has to cover the car so not too high and probably not much dearer than buying a good cover anyway(as long as you have the space) :)

With a car cover you need to take if off at least once a week to let it air and get rid of the damp that condenses inside the cover so in my mind all but the most expensive covers are a waste of time, I have just purchased a half cover for the spit but only to keep the rain from getting into the cabin.

Thanks for the replies. That has been my concern, that a cover will hold the damp, and never considered one before. Its just a neighbour mentioned it as he has an old Porsche that he keeps covered and he mentioned it. I have a similar cover on my motorbike, grey rubberised outer which is backed in a soft cloth. Been out to the car and wire brushed the worst and treated it with rust treatment.Not quite as bad as first appeared, but not good. I am sure it will hold up for another year or so if I pay attention to it.  Thanks.

Over the years I have tried cheap £50 covers up to £300 plus top of the range jobbies. The only one I would trust for long term use is a carcoon type that holds the cover away from the body. Not cheap but I learnt quite quickly after having to fork out for a bonnet, boot and Surrey top respray on a TR4a after condensation being held in over a winter storage.

Another vote for the Carcoon. My Herald has lived in one for ten years, split between two countries and vastly different climates. The outside Carcoon is best on flat, level ground, as the bases of newer versions are double skinned and the top skin will slide over the lower layer on a slope. The silver skin keeps the car shaded and cool, so preventing sun damage to the paintwork and interior. The cover's extremely waterproof - we had a tropical cyclone last week and the Herald stayed dry. The circulating air stops it sweating in humid conditions. It also deflected inch-sized hailstones last year that caused hundreds of broken windscreens and dented cars - they just bounced off!

On the other hand, it's not so good in wind as it has a large surface area and gets blown around. Back in New Zealand it was defeated by snow, but even then the car stayed dry. And the cat thinks it's a bouncy castle ::)

Hi. i bought a soft fabric cover from Classic Addition (£170 inc postage). Very good cust service. The cover has been on the car pretty much constantly. It has just gone through its second winter. It has never leaked. Some condensation issues mainly winter, though using lengths of the foam pipe lagging for 22mm copper has helped a lot. I used 3 lengths front to back on roof that extended about 8" over roof length front and rear and 2 on bonnet. This stops the fabric lying flat and alowws air flow.
Cheers
Dave

I’ve tried everything from an old tarpaulin to a medium quality car cover (not top of the range but expensive enough) and found nowt but damage to my paintwork, either from flapping about in the wind, or trapped moisture; similarly any pointy bit on the car at all will eat through the cover in record time. I’ve found the only things that work are covers that are raised off the bodywork - Carcoon as mentioned previously, or any kind of solid frame that will withstand the elements.