No Rear Lights Help

Hillcourt

First of all thanks for a great forum, its been great to read.

Now for my question.

I have a 1979 spit and was having trouble with rear lights going off when braking. Cleaned up earths but think we had a short. Funny things were happening where we could get brake lights and no rear lights then vice versa. Also indicators stayed on or flashed slow.

After a while we got nothing and even noticed Windscreen washer jets not working. Fuses are fine. Could be flasher units/Stalk?

Thanks in advance

Hi
Combination of quite a few things here
So you have a 1500....does it still have the night dimmer relay in the nearside rear wing hiding in there?
If so remove it and connect all the wires.The cause of many  complaints
Then check all the earth wires at the rear
Flashers could be poor earth`s or the wrong size flasher can ( I made that mistake once)
However there still appears to be a fuse holder problem
You need to remove fuses and  check that the wires are not loose at the back
Remove fuse box ,fit fuses, turn your lights wipers etc on and then jiggle the Lucar connectors around whilst the box is inside the battery cavity
Then lets hear....  

My car a few months ago began to exhibit behavior like that (and some others), & no amount of cleaning of contacts sorted it out.  Replacing the combo brake/tail light holders with new items fixed it.  Apparently I had reached the limit of fixing the ground-to-contact connection inside the old holders or something.

The new ones have an additional, separate electrical connector for ground, unlike the originals which grounded through the springy things that hold the bulb holder into the tail light housing.  That also might be part of why they work now:  the springy things may have been making poor ground contact through the tail light housing.  The additional ground lug means that you'll have to run a new wire from that lug over to a nearby ground lug - a bunch are gathered nearby on a light housing.

Be aware that the quality control on some of the new tail light bulb holders is spotty.  If you get one, first insert it into the tail light housing without a bulb, & then extract it.  If it comes apart, exchange it for another until you get a good one.  If you insert it with a bulb in place, & than it comes apart when you pull it back out (like when changing the bulb), it becomes a problem trying to get the thing out without breaking the bulb.

Right had a good weekend on the car.

Rear lights have had all earthing points stripped and all new spade connectors attached.

I'm getting:

Brake lights (dimmer on one side)
No reverse
No tail lights
And indicators with no flashing

Just ordered all new bulb holders as seams like earth problems?

Two man job
To cross check,attach bulbs to end of wiring .....out of the bulb holder..........thus proving or eliminating the bulb holder
Dim one side brake lights.....did you take out the dimmer/nightswitch from wing............could still be that or earth
However all could be earth
Create a `master` earth ,attach all black earth wires and then to a `master` back to earth on battery,then see what happens
Have you checked the connectors at fuse box, if live in OK, run a slave wire off each of three terminals with a bulb holder to check if live is coming out

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update for this thread.

Got the car out and decided to have a day on the lights.

Turns out main problem was the wire from the back of the master switch in center of the dash was shot somehow. stripped both ends and no good. ran a new wire and works!. also replaced the whole connector block in wing.

Fair few hours but now i have rear lights. Apart from reverse i think. sensor on gearbox?

6906 wrote:
Fair few hours but now i have rear lights. Apart from reverse i think. sensor on gearbox?

Check first at the lights themselves with a meter between ground & the wire to the reverse lights.  With the ignition on & the gearbox in reverse, it should have 12v.
If you don't have 12v there, the gearbox switch would be the next place to look.
If you do have 12v there, the problem is related to the lamps, lampholders, or their grounds.