Thomas4

Hi

My fog lights could be switched on independently of the beams; I had to go to the MOT and they complained that the fog lights were not connected properly. I admit that on other cars you have to switch on the beams and only then the fog lights can be switched on, with the beams going out at the same time. But in the case of the TR7 I used the fog lights rather as driving lights (so I don't want the beams to go off when they are on).

Does anybody know how the fog lights were connected originally? (and did the fog light switch also switch the tail lamps?)

Thomas

I have rewired mine set as driving lights so they now come on with the main beam (after a telling off by the Law during the 2010 RBRR) , but the easiest way around this is to disconnect them when you go for an MOT. I don't think they can fail you for non-working fog lights.

Cheers

Howard

On a TR7 there is a circuit for fog lights complete with switch and wiring.
Red/Yellow for the front and Red/Blue for the rear. They should be easy to find.

But I never connected them so can't tell how they are switched
And I haven't got a clue about Swiss law in this
I agree with Howard's advice in this and just disconnect them before next MOT.

Meanwhile I have completely removed the fog lights. Just disconnecting them will not be allowed - if they are there they will have to work (I will even hide the switch unter some black tape).

The front fog lights were connected to red/yellow wires, so probably that was correct (there were no rear fog lights).
The question is whether the fog lights were originally completely independent of the normal lighting which the MOT expert thinks is wrong.

@Howard: thanks for the offer. I have a copy of 'Triumph TR7 Repair Operation Manual from 1978'. There is a wiring diagram on p. 340; as far as I can tell the fog lights are independent of the main beams, but the side lights and the tail lamps are switched by the master light switch and the fog light switch. In my case (done probably by the p. o.) only the front fog lamps were switched, so at least that was wrong (also as I mentioned above, there were no fog tail lamps).

@Beans:

Quote:
MOT testers shouldn't think, they should know it's wrong, and if they don't know for sure they should shut up

Actually to my disadvantage he was mostly right, the fog lights was only the smallest fault. I had to replace my slotted brake discs, front and rear springs, and the rear silencer box with original items, also had to remove the anti-dive blocks under the front cross bar. Next Tuesday there will be the follow-up testing; if I will pass it I will have the 'veteran' status and I won't have to show the car to the MOT for six years.

Yes. I could in principle have the changes I made (brake discs, uprated springs, anti-dive blocks, different exhaust) have tested and registered in the vehicle papers. But the car will only get the 'vetaran status' if it is in good original condition; period accessories would in principle be allowed but I would need proof that they are period which is not very easy. Of course much is up to the MOT expert, I probably just had bad luck; he measured the rear silencer box to be 320 x 130 mm, where the original is 340 x 150 mm ... once it is noted down there is not much you can do about it.