Mounting Driving / Spot / Fog lights

Encom

I have a great set of Lucas driving lights that I want to mount on the Vitesse; but where? They are bottom mount so can't readily be mounted either side of the number plate, and the strip below the grille on the bonnet doesn't seem substantial enough to take any weight without twisting.

Ideas, solutions gratefully received

My Vitesse has bolts holding the lower valance to the front of the chassis—two on each side, between the overriders and the ARB mounting point. Would a bracket that mounts there work for you? I'd image the lamps would be pretty low down though, perhaps only at number plate height. Is that OK, or do you want them above the bumper? If above the bumper, then don't forget to allow sufficient clearance for the bonnet to swing up :)

718 wrote:
found this in an old lucas manual, hope it is readable  :o

bigger version is on flickr    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sprtz/8387236483/sizes/k/in/photostream/

Fantastic! many thanks.

Bracket 39FB. Looks like it sandwiches the grille with the lower turn down resting on the upper face of the panel that runs under the grille.

Has any one seen these in use? or know of the finish? I am guessing a hammerite gunmetal?

1316 wrote:
My Vitesse has bolts holding the lower valance to the front of the chassis—two on each side, between the overriders and the ARB mounting point. Would a bracket that mounts there work for you? I'd image the lamps would be pretty low down though, perhaps only at number plate height. Is that OK, or do you want them above the bumper? If above the bumper, then don't forget to allow sufficient clearance for the bonnet to swing up :)

Peter, good point I hadn't thought of using those. I'll make some 39FB's and give those a go as well, cheers.

I made up some brackets and mounted them on the bonnet bellow the grille. Needed big spacers and I made supports behind the grille to brace it all. Now I'm going fiberglass I can't do that as it won't be strong enough. And for once the easy access bonnet is a hindrance as you have to make sure the bonnet misses them if they're mounted on the valance.

As promised, a photo of the brackets. they appear to fit under the front grille and across the top of the valence, but as to exactly how... I have no idea. Is it as simple as a self-tapper / bolt through the valence, and am I unrealistically expecting some official mounting point?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I tried out my Lucas type brackets and they work quiet well, I'm thinking I'll tidy them up a bit, get them powder coated and job done :)

Even got my Lucas switch (one for driving lights, other for Lucas 494 reversing light), sweet to easy :)