TR7V8 Uprated brake servo/booster

nadg63

That's correct Beans, along with braided lines. Basically it just doesn't feel like the brakes are doing anything and it's the loss of momentum slowly stopping it. Quite likely the original servo isn't performing so if having to mess with that I may as well upgrade.

Quoted from Beans
So might very well be that there 's no problem!? Get the car on the road and enjoy it 😉

Oh no, there is definitely a problem! The two times I have driven it, (all of 12kms in total), there is just nothing there in the brake department, scary! Will investigate it some more, something is amiss!?

nadge,

You have a problem with your brake system, so that "there is nothing in the brake department" - and you plan to fit a servo to cure the problem?
Think about that for a minute, a second even.   You don't know what the problem is, you haven't cured it, and you want to do major surgery on the car.

That's right, it's not a sensible idea.   FIND THE PROBLEM FIRST!
Then consider if you want a servo.

In fact, servos are excellent, fopr people with arthritis or other ailments that make it difficult for them to push hard on the pedal, becasue all it does is amplify that pressure, and only up to a point as well.
A servo can never "improve" braking ability, which is a property of the efficiency of the braking system, the condition of the parts within it, and finally the state of the tyres.
I strongly suggest that you investigate your brake system and find out why it's not working properly.   Start by a close examination of the master cylinder and work through to the wheel cylinders and brake pads/shoes.
If it's working as badly as you say, there will be some problem that such an examination will detect, and that you can deal with.

Good luck!
JOhn

I sort of agree with JohnD - find the problem, not mask it. But I think servos have their place.

There's a really easy test for the servo, however. Just start the engine with your foot on the brake. If the pedal doesn't move down substantially for the same foot pressure as the engine fires, then the servo is not working. The problem is what is substantially. If IRC fromt the last time I did that with a 7, it should be more than an inch of movment under your foot, but it's been a while.

Graham

Graham,
That tests the operation of the servo, but not its function.
And i's function is only to assist the driver by using engine power to increase the hydraulic brake pressure, up to a point.
See chart.

Brake efficiency relys on the state of the brake system, and the efficiency of its parts.
In general, you should be able to lock the wheels of any Triumph at any speed above walking.
If you cannot, then the brakes aren't working properly, and a servo will not improve matters.

Yes, servos do have their place, along with power steering.  Many/most moderns have both and they work very well.
But a servo is NOT the answer to  a poorly working brake system on a Triumph, or any classic.

John

Testing the servo's operation is all the test is meant to do.

I understand the servo's function is as a mechanical force-amplifier, with a fixed gain and a maximum dynamic range. But the requirement for amplification is a design issue, not test and maintenance.

And the servo had a big part to play in the design of the TR7 at least. It let BL fit the same brakes as the HA Viva had to a much (well a bit) higher performance car. Saved them loads of money. Though not necessarily enough to make a profit.

Graham

Didn't know that story!  
In the chaos that was the introduction of the TR7, even Graham Robson doesn't mention it in the "Works Triumphs" as one of the many problemes they had to deal with.
A 'sports car' with tiny family runabout brakes, gosh!
But it says much for the ability of brake systems to work well, given enough foot power, and only to need a servo if the driver is handicapped or the system is an inadequate design.
John