Changing transmission oil

sandglobe

Quoted from glang-

I wonder if Haydn is talking about the cover over the diff?

I did slightly wonder that myself, and almost added something about it. So I will.

If you actually mean the differential in the rear axle, there is no drain hole. Triumph deleted it early on because diff oil is supposed to last the life of the vehicle. Of course, the vehicle wasn't supposed to live as long as they have! It's possible to add a drain hole (and plug!) but not without decent access under the car. I'd want a pit, not just some ramps. Incidentally, the "inspection cover" in that case isn't for inspection. It's to gain access to the studs for removal of the rear spring.

The other option for the diff is to siphon out the old oil through the filler/level hole, or suck it out the same way. Not quite as good as draining it out but better than doing nothing.

I once managed to siphon the diff oil out using a semi-flexible plastic tube of small bore - I rather think it was the pretty useless thing supplied as a cavity lance with the stirrup pump type of Waxoyl sprayer. It took a lot of sucking to start the siphon flowing and it was very slow to flow at all once started - one drip every minute sort of territory - but over a day or two it did eventually shift what must have been close to the total oil capacity of the diff, enabling a refill with fresh oil.