Herald wishbones

Adrianb

Good afternoon

just thought I would strip down the front suspension all was going well everything off remarkable easy considering 25 years of sitting rotting! Then I tried to remove the bolts on the that have the bushes and every thing grinds to a halt! No worry’s undone the bolts and removed brackets discovered that the bots with the bushes had all been spot welded in place!is this normal practice from the 1960s do I need to do that or is there an alternative way many thanks

Which bolts exactly? I'm struggling to think of any captive / spot welded bolts on the front suspension, except for the lower inner pivot brackets where they bolt through the chassis. The whole bracket is supposed to come out if you need to but the wishbone can be removed without doing that.

Hmmm... not seen it before the bolts usually rust to the metal tube through the bush. Cant see the need to spot weld them in place. There should be a ridge on the bracket to stop the head of the bolt spinning , if this was taken off that might explain it.  The bolt shouldnt spin as it will wear the bracket, the trunnion and schock bottom bolts will happily oval out the bottom wish bone holes requiring a spot weld of a washer.

Quoted from Matt306-

There should be a ridge on the bracket to stop the head of the bolt spinning , if this was taken off that might explain it. 

This is what I was thinking.

Adrian - forgive the daft question but are you sure the bolt is welded in position, not just caked in rust and seized in place? Have you given it a good clean with a wire brush?

If it's welded in you'll have to grid it off. Pretty sure lower wishbone brackets are cheap and easy to find. 

Pete

Quoted from Adrianb-

Hi . Have double checked and they are deffo spot welded in place so grinder is coming out .Many thanks for the input.

Time to round up some new (or good used) bits? I'm not sure I would trust anything where the bolt has been welded in! 🙄