willcolumbine

Alright I give up! I've been getting fuel leaking from my carbs ever since I fitted a new 'repro' fuel pump. I've tried fitting a regulator but no matter what combination of adjusting the pressure on the regulator, messing around with new needle valves, floats, cleaning carbs and fitting new fuel filters I do it just wont stop overflowing out of the damn float chamber!

Anyone know anywhere I could get a NOS pump from?

Nice suggestion! I'd not heard that you could use the TR7 pump.

You're not kidding that some new pumps give the wrong pressure. I think it's because they're really designed for something else and all the makers do is change the baseplate. Judging by the amount of fuel it pumps and the fact that the mountings are very similar I wouldn't be suprised if it originated from a big block chevy!

willcolumbine wrote:
Alright I give up! I've been getting fuel leaking from my carbs ever since I fitted a new 'repro' fuel pump. I've tried fitting a regulator but no matter what combination of adjusting the pressure on the regulator, messing around with new needle valves, floats, cleaning carbs and fitting new fuel filters I do it just wont stop overflowing out of the damn float chamber!

Anyone know anywhere I could get a NOS pump from?

I take it you have replaced the needle valves in the top of the float chambers and that the floats are not punctured and fitted at the correct hieight. In my experience fuel leaks in SU cards are quite often due to problems with the needle valves or floats.

The best needle valves IMHO ar ethe after market ones with the rubber tips, they seal better than the original ones.

Yeah, I replaced the needle valves with the standard type (with rubber tips) and then tried the ball type ones that the mini crowd go for. The floats were good too - I tested them by holding them underwater overnight and they didn't let any water in.

I've not adjusted the float height though. I dont think thats possible on later SU's like mine.

I dont think the pump arm has anything to do with the fuel pressure.

I believe that the pressure is "controlled" by the spring under the diaphram inside the pump (item 12 in the picture)

All that you will achieve by fitting extra gaskets is to reduce the maximum rate at which fuel can be pumped, so at maximum fuel demand you might empty the float chambers faster than the pump can supply fuel.

I've got SU's so I don't think a diaphram could be the problem! Wierdly enough it seems to have stopped doing it for the minute. Maybe I've finally got the regulator set just right!

I'm still not happy about the set up though. I'd like to loose the regulator if possible and if the TR7 pump's going to work then that seems like the best answer.

Archived