SU Needle Charts

James

I have updated the SU Needle grapher on my site - it now uses Javascript and HTML5 rather than Flash.

In short, it means it should be more compatible and will work on iPhones and iPads now.

If anyone has any feedback let me know.

James

jcarruthers wrote:
Glad it works.

I use my iPad for the workshop manual— v useful!

Good for Club Torque in PDF format too and the various Triumph related tuning manuals that are available too.

As Dave says I can see it on my iphone too but need reading glasses to see it  ;D

Hi James

I've been playing with the HS6 needle graphs and heavily relying on you site - many thanks. I have been trying to get my head around how changing the spring can change the fuelling as I recently found that I have green 12 oz springs in the twin HS6 carbs on my GT6 (ex sprint) not the usual yellow 8oz. The needles had been changed by a local garage to a very rich one to compensate (BDT). I've got a couple of springs ordered to change this to yellow,Red and Blue and see what happens...

Changing the spring seems to be a little used tuning tool as it seems Triumph already did this with the Dolomite sprint (yellow) to TR7 (red) with the same needle (BDQ).

I dont know if it is possible to incorporate this somehow. I was also looking at this version of the graphs to try and see where a weaker/stronger spring may read when the piston is allowed to change position due to the change in spring strength.

It should be possible to model the spring and vacuum pressure to derive piston height with some experimentation and practical calibration...  ??)

I have been trying to collate a table of the various needles used in the HS6 carb as well. I think this type of list used to be in the Triumphtune manual but Ive long lost my copy and its probably not such a great reference anyway. This is where I have got to:

I'd be interested if anyone knows of any more applications or corrections!

p.s. I hope you view the plagiarism as the compliment that is intended!

That might be a little out of scope— as its a bit beyond my maths unless someone can provide equations

Something I will be implementing is a "difference" mode so you can compare the main needle to others a lot more easily.

Which I think is what your graph is doing?

jcarruthers wrote:
That might be a little out of scope— as its a bit beyond my maths unless someone can provide equations

Something I will be implementing is a "difference" mode so you can compare the main needle to others a lot more easily.

Which I think is what your graph is doing?

:)  its a bit beyond my maths too, although I do work with a few smart bastards who might put me in the right direction.

The graph above is just a difference between the BDQ (black reference) needle and the others. The other side of the graph mimics your needle graph so I could see them side by side.

I was trying to see how a weaker spring may "see" the needle a couple or stations higher at the same vacuum force...

One resource I'd like to see if anyone can help me out on this, is what should we be looking for in lambda values at different driving scenarios (ie full throttle, cruise, idle, different loads etc). I've got a wideband o2 sensor now and AFR gauge, so will soon be wanting to take the car on the road and see how the needles in there right now perform, then modify them or change them out to suit. Thing is, I'm not terribly sure which values I should be aiming for on a Triumph.

• 3 weeks later...

After a few requests I've tweaked the graphs.

The minimum Y value is now 1 - which adds some resolution to the graphs. You can also click and drag horizontally to zoom in to get even closer to the data.

I've also reversed the Y axis as I feel this reflects the needle a bit better - as the line going up means richer.