Throttle cable mods - Herald to twin carbs

heraldcoupe

Quoted from Nick Jones
I haven't used anything other than bike brake cables for the last 20 years.........

That's the way I've been going recently. Quality of aftermarket cables is utterly shocking in many cases, I cannibalised the 'new' cable on my last Spitfire for it's fittings to build one from a bike cable.

The 1500 TC engine in a Herald needs to be longer than anything I could find on a Triumph. Again, the custom bike cable was my solution when I fitted one a couple of years ago. The bulkhead ferrule was the only complication, however I was able to salvage an old one and re-crimp using a hex die I had available. Without the die it could be secured with a dab of epoxy,

Cheers,
Bill.

Nick_Jones wrote:
I haven't used anything other than bike brake cables for the last 20 years.........

That's the way I've been going recently. Quality of aftermarket cables is utterly shocking in many cases, I cannibalised the 'new' cable on my last Spitfire for it's fittings to build one from a bike cable.

The 1500 TC engine in a Herald needs to be longer than anything I could find on a Triumph. Again, the custom bike cable was my solution when I fitted one a couple of years ago. The bulkhead ferrule was the only complication, however I was able to salvage an old one and re-crimp using a hex die I had available. Without the die it could be secured with a dab of epoxy,

Cheers,
Bill.

I modified the twin carb linkage slightly on my 1500-engined 1360 to so it accepts an original 1360 cable used for the single Stromberg carb.  Has been working fine for the past 3 years.  See my post of 2 July 2012 at Sorry , link no longer available.  
Simon

I modified the twin carb linkage slightly on my 1500-engined 1360 to so it accepts an original 1360 cable used for the single Stromberg carb.  Has been working fine for the past 3 years.  See my post of 2 July 2012 at Sorry , link no longer available.  
Simon

Having acquired a Vitesse cable I find that it is too short - presumably the throttle pedal to car connection is greater in the Midge. I've now sourced a motorbike cable with a 90 degree crank at the carb end which will do the job nicely once I've made a clamp for the outer cable at the bulkhead end.

Roger

Having acquired a Vitesse cable I find that it is too short - presumably the throttle pedal to car connection is greater in the Midge. I've now sourced a motorbike cable with a 90 degree crank at the carb end which will do the job nicely once I've made a clamp for the outer cable at the bulkhead end.

Roger