67 Mk1 GT6 restoration

byakk0

Been slowly working on the dents over the past few months. 

Backend:

I did some work on this last year and had mudded it, but my perfectionist bodyman brother knocked out my mud and showed me how to work on it properly and gave me some tips. At the time I didn't have a slapping file. I finally acquired one, plus some additional spoons and dollies, so here goes. 

This is how I restarted once I excavated the rest of my own handiwork

Door:

I put a dinger in my new skin dropping something heavy on it. OOPS!

Bonnet:

This sucker is just rough. I bought this bonnet from a fellow who left a note on my car back in '96 when I was driving it. The bonnet I had then was completely shot and looked like something the cat yacked up on the doorstep. Anyway, his note indicated he had one for sale, at just $200 I jumped at it. My above mentioned bodyman brother took it to school and 'repaired' it. Looked good then, but later investigation reveals all he learned how to do on it then was just mud and primer--you may recall the efforts I put into just rebuilding it a few years back. video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk4ZvlZqJYg&t=67s <-- 

In a nutshell, I drilled out nearly all the spotwelds, removed heavy rust, repaired or replaced panels, and cleared away his carefully applied mud. He's not upset about it all, in fact my bro tells me he cringes everytime he thinks of that project. He was just learning, but his skills are now stellar. 

Long story short, as follows is how I started a few months ago:

More to come shortly.

Backend

I worked it over right here (and the rest of the panel), using my fancy new slapping file and multiple dollies. I also used a torch and my shrinking disk. (said disk I still barely understood the operation of and it didn't get used much)

I worked it over for a few hours thinking I made excellent progress.

but then I hit it with primer for guidecoat and sanded it back to reveal the highs and lows.

I worked it some more over the next few days and ran out of primer. I didn't want to make a run to the store as that would cut into my worktime, and lucked out as my wife was heading to Walmart. I asked her to pick up a cheap can of primer. I told her color doesn't matter, anything works. Just get a cheap one. 

Well....She decided to take my niece along with her (she hates doing stuff alone). My niece picked out Krylon neon lime green paint and primer in one. I shouldn't have used it, but hey it ought to work as guide coat, right?

I managed to sand off what I needed to reveal the lows and highs, but the gloss of the paint gummed up my sandpaper and was tough to work with and took extra time. Guess it wasn't such a good idea after all. I think I would have saved time stepping away to buy the primer myself. Live and learn

Anyway, I pickled up some primer later and kept moving along.

I finally got it to a point where I was happy enough with the shape. Not perfect like I'd like, but it's much better. Rookie mistakes in putting the panels back together prevented me from getting the lower edge raised and and that spot where the GT6 emblem goes. Hindsight tells me I should have addressed these when I had everything apart years ago.

So....I applied some Evercoat Aluminized body filler and got it to the correct shape in the end. 

Bonnet:

Before

as with the backend, I worked this side of the bonnet over mostly with a slapping file, dollie's and spoons, with some attempts at using the shrinking disk.

I made some decent progress but the going was slow.

It looks much better in the photo, but at this point I have it quite close. Just the leading edge of the nose needs work. I have probably 10 hours in just this half alone.

-->video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeLoYtpQsOw&t=11s <--

I then stumbled across this video on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt07pLebQwQ&t=1s. It is done by the fabricator of the disk I bought a few years back. I'm not sure how I missed it then but just watching it told me how I needed to use it properly.

so I dug into the driver's side of the bonnet.

after about 10 minutes of work with the disk I was already this far

I'll come back later and touch it up with spoons and dollies, but for now I moved on to the bubble.

video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKSEI1YsHJ8 <--

I worked over the bubble and got it much better, as well as more work on the nose. I got the leading edge reshaped better, but I still have some deep lows that will require filler of some sort. I'd like to try my hand at leading, but we'll see what happens.

and, a final video as of 8/6/18

--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIkuTTv2l0k <--

• 11 months later...

Been a while since I updated here.

Just letting you I'm still around and working on the car.

I'm getting it down to bare metal for epoxy and final bodywork.

Hoping for paint this year.

Made some mounting brackets for the bonnet irons.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Hazen

Your multi-dented panels came to mind the other day when I came across this YouTube vid. 

https://youtu.be/Dod6merNvL0

Takes a while of blather before he gets to the good stuff, (actually most of his vids are rather good, if verbose) but struck me that that little stud welder could solve a lot of your problems. 

Ive just ordered one myself on the strength of it, and while obviously I can’t give first hand assessment yet, at less than £300 inc shipping here to the UK, think it’s worth a try.  I assume they are available in the US too, and probably cheaper, most things seem to be..

regards

j

Thanks Hutch! It's been some time in the making. Enjoy the read.

John,

Trev's Blog. Yeah, I watch him periodically. 

Actually, I used a stud gun to get most of the shape back and a majority of the dents removed.

It was indeed a problem solver and the tool for the job.

The hammer and dolly work was the perfectionist in me wanting as little filler as possible. Guess we'll see how it looks when I get epoxy on it in a few weeks.

• 2 months later...

Been a struggle to get time on my car this year. I thought getting off at 4pm would be a blessing...anyway.

I used a sandblaster attachment for a pressure washer and over the course of about a month or so (again, as I could sneak time) I blasted some of the old bits I removed from my car. Wheel wells, and the mid and rear sections of the boot. Turned out quite nicely but holy moly does it shoot dirty sludge everywhere--But, that's another story.

I picked up a decent air compressor a few weeks back for a great price. 5HP 20 gal tank, 240V. Couldn't have gotten this far otherwise.

It needed the handle replaced and a new belt cover. I need to add some end guards though.

So anyway, here are the pics. 
before on the rear boot pan.

And after on the rear tunnel/floor pan. It still needs work, but I had to return the borrowed pressure washer. But the hard work has been done.

Rear arches, rear boot pan and front lower valance, blasted and prepped for epoxy
(Harbor Freight $17 gun. So far so good. I tried the filter/regulator the other way around but that darn plastic filter kept cross threading on me. I guess that is quite normal)

Bonnet, ready for priming...

All the bits primed, besides the aforementioned mid-boot pan. 

These were removed from my original tub. At one point they were going to scrap, and I nearly sent them. But then I realized I could re-use them...

And so, that's it for now. My main goal was to get these bare parts in primer before the weather got too cold, and yesterday and today were in the 70's, with forecast for the foreseeable future in the 50's or worse.

Anyway, I'll see what other trouble I can get into over the winter. Stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rich.

I had to go back and see what I last posted, had to go back to #550. Looks like the only thing I have since then is cover it with black vinyl. I used 3M #77 spray glue in a can. This was prob last summer. It's started coming loose, so I may need to re-glue it. Haven't installed it yet,as I need to remove the windscreen frame so I can get it painted.

My experience with a Mk3 Spitfire (which is extra difficult because the front edge of the crash pad has a bulge in the middle) is that the vinyl will come loose unless you overlap it into all the places you can clamp it. In particular, the front edge that is wrapped under must be folded into the metal channel that sits over the lip of the bulkhead top, so that it's mechanically secured once fitted.

Quoted from byakk0-

Hey Rich.

I had to go back and see what I last posted, had to go back to #550. Looks like the only thing I have since then is cover it with black vinyl. I used 3M #77 spray glue in a can. This was prob last summer. It's started coming loose, so I may need to re-glue it. Haven't installed it yet,as I need to remove the windscreen frame so I can get it painted.

Hi Hazan

I'm interested to know how the vinyl came out.  In the pics I can't see the 'Ash Tray' dip which on the original is well defined.  Most people who cover their dash pads seem to keep the original vinyl on and cover that - so interested to see if you are getting clean lines (particularly around the ash tray) covering the original foam.

Many thanks

Rich

Quoted from RobPearce-

My experience with a Mk3 Spitfire (which is extra difficult because the front edge of the crash pad has a bulge in the middle) is that the vinyl will come loose unless you overlap it into all the places you can clamp it. In particular, the front edge that is wrapped under must be folded into the metal channel that sits over the lip of the bulkhead top, so that it's mechanically secured once fitted.

Thanks for the advice Rob

• 1 year later...

Wow, been a while since I last posted here.

I've gotten the final coat of primer on the car, and painted all of the inside bits. I'm waiting on better weather or a paint booth so I can shoot the exterior paint.

I'll try and upload some pics as soon as I figure out how the system on here works (Again).

Quoted from byakk0-

I'll try and upload some pics as soon as I figure out how the system on here works (Again).

And then they'll (hopefully) get the new forum up and running and it'll all be different again!

Good to see you back here, Hazen, and to hear of your progress, even if the weather's not being helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

promised photos

I looked back a little to see what I last posted, and it was late 2019 when I had only just primed it with 2k epoxy primer. Pandemic not withstanding, last year did not go at all how I had planned. I have been fortunate enough to remain at work the entire time, so no shutdown work for me. 

Anyway, I got the blocking and boarding completed, and now I've got it fully primed and ready for paint. I have hit the inside bits with topcoat (BMW Space Grey Metallic) and a few exterior parts.

I am now ready to finish painting. Just waiting on decent weather or a paint booth. I may have one available for use, just waiting for my friend to build it. He had another but he moved his shop before I could take advantage of it. Doesn't help any that I couldn't get it ready before he moved his shop.

Abby showcasing my handywork (hard to believe she's 7)

I painted the cowl. It has a couple fisheyes I need to address, but I was planning on painting it a time or two more. My intent was to paint the lower portion with the vents and the portion under the windscreen. It was just as easy to paint it all.

Been sitting like this since fall when the weather dropped below 55*F and too cold to paint. Just like in 2019, I got the last bit epoxy primered on the last possible day of good weather.

I guess sitting isn't the right word. It's fully driveable, and gets stored in the garage.

• 1 month later...

Morning folks (its morning somewhere 🙂 )

Many of you followed my old thread on other version of this website, so I won't re-post everything here. You can find it all in my Triumph Experience Journal. https://www.triumphexp.com/journal/Hazen-Wardle.2393/

But a quick recap. I bought my GT6 back in '95 from a guy who claimed it was 'paint ready'. It was primed and ready to go, and I didn't have a clue. Needless to say I discovered it was far from paint ready. The interior had been painted, right over unprepped factory rust and paint. The exterior wasn't any better. I drove it for two years hoping I could make it a rolling restoration, but alas that was not in the cards. The floors were terribly rusted through, as were the inner rocker and strengthener. The outer sills, all four wings, boot floor, rear valance, bonnet had serious issues at the nose. 

It was all the usual and then some. 

So I parked it and pulled it apart and didn't work on it until 2009. It wasn't going to fix itself, and no one was going to do it for me unless I paid them--but I was broke (still am), I started learning and doing. Welding, metal work (tin bashing even), body work, mechanicals. The only thing I have farmed out so far was blasting and powdercoating the chassis/frame. 

Fast forward to now, I'm ready (nearly) for paint. Buying it this week. Just need to get the rear trim strips stuck in place first.

Before:

spacer.png

And now. I've got the inside bits painted. Just need to shoot the exterior.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I've got to get the rear finishers attached, but I'm not happen with the aftermarket ones I bought.

spacer.png

So anyway, this is I currently am.

It's been a long road. In the time its taken me to get this far, I've seen other people start and complete cars in worse condition than mine. I've had to learn everything and acquire tools. Time and money have been a big factor as well. I just sneak in a few minutes here and there when I can. 

Hello! Just wanted to say we’re going to try very hard to migrate build threads from the old site. Seeing your update the other day highlighted how much work you and other build-thread posters have put in. We’ve not started the task yet, but it’s high on the list. So I’d probably advise to leave this post, and wait until your other one is imported. Hopefully @Craig agrees!