What spares will you bring!

4 hours ago, Chadow441 said:

I had a cunning plan!  Any breakdown 'north' of Wales, could get recovered to home in Portishead and pick up spare car!  I thought this to be a brilliant idea until my co-driver pointed out that someone might notice that we started in a blue TR7 and finished in a red Stag.  What do you think? Workable?

You wont be the first, nor, i suspect, the last to do that!

12 hours ago, Tim Bancroft said:

A selection of recent RBRR failure causes:

Stag                                Engine  / Camshaft Timing Issues- DNF.

Stag                                Propshaft UJ failure leading to G/Box damage- DNF.

Dolly Sprint                  Timing Chain Tensioner Failure -  changed at 04.00hrs on day of start.

TR4                                 Wipers Failed: DNF.

Herald/Moss Roadster       Cooling fan failure followed by head  gasket-DNF

Vitesse/Herald/Spitfire       Rear Hub Bearing failure. DNF.

Herald                             Differential failure.

GT6                                Valve Gear oil Starvation causing  clearance issues DNF

Stag                                Master Light Switch :  Repaired by Torchlight.

TR3                                 Broken Exhaust- Beware speed Humps!

2.5 Saloon                     Front  Drag Strut detached from body, bad corrosion!! Welded up and Finished.!

Herald                             Car Heater Failure- uncomfortable!

Spitfire                           Broken Gearchange linkage - Type 9                                         Ford Gearbox

Spitfire                           Gearbox failure - Ford Type 9   NOT the same car!

2.5PI                               Rear Hub Bearing - Swapped at                                                Roadside.

Plus filling up with diesel.

I know of at least 2 viscous fan coupling failures. One retired, the other allowed the fan to bore a hole through the rad. That retired too.

If you have one, give it a little wooble to make sure its good with no play.

14 hours ago, roger keys said:

Plus filling up with diesel

I think there was more than one retirement last time due to this. The BP Garages do a BP Ultimate in petrol and diesel. The diesel pump nozzle is blue rather than the usual black. 

The petrol ultimate nozzle is green. Stay away from the blue nozzle! 

56 minutes ago, Radders said:

I think there was more than one retirement last time due to this.

Yeah I think it was 3. We happened on a stricken Stag just after Gledrid (think it was the team now known as 'rusty custard'), then there was a TR3 crew at Badgers Holt who were struggling manfully on trying to dilute the diesel with unleaded, but I think gave up eventually. And I thought there was one other.

It's easily done when you're tired and distracted at the petrol pump. But I imagine the E10 business has got people paying more attention at the moment anyway