What spares will you bring!

I’m assuming we will all have boots full of spares - but we can’t carry everything- In my Vitesse boot  I’m carrying a fan belt, spare hoses, a selection of exhaust clamps and jubilee clips, oil and water,  bulbs, fuses, points, plugs etc spare radiator cap and thermostat, rad weld naturally , repair kits for fuel pump oh and a set of wheel bearings. What have I forgotten? 
I still have sealed beam headlights feel I should replace these too….

If you have any doubts why not replace the wheel bearings now? This is not really a job to do on the event. Some electrical wiring of different ratings, a selection of connectors and a test meter might be handy. I have also found a 12 volt soldering iron and some solder handy in the past, I don't trust crimped connections.

Tim

This is what’s in my boot:

Rainex
Toilet roll. :-)  Bad experience on the 10CR! Enough said!

Items to allow temporary fixes/repairs:

Plastic sheet to lie on 
Torches 
Spare Batteries for torches
Cable ties
Gas powered Soldering iron
Electrical connectors and wire
Amp meter
Instant Gasket seal
Ardlite sealent
Radweld
Metal tape
Gaffa tape
Large rubber hose
G-clamps
Metal strip
Bungees 
Disposable Gloves 
Wiring diagram
Vaseline 
Wire wool
Cable ties
Metal wire
Jubilee clips
Insulation tape
Wipes and paper towel 
Super glue
Grease
Rubber pipes
Fuel pipe and connector
Various spare Bolts and nuts
Engine Oil (1 litre)
Gearbox oil small bottle
Break fluid small bottle
silicon fluid ( for clutch) small bottle 
Exhaust bracket
Split Pins 
Exhaust fire gum

Spare parts
If anything needs replacing I normally replace it prior to the event but I keep these just in case (especially as often items that fail tend to be the newer items that have recently been replaced) or to help others on the event.

Dist Cap
Radiator Cap
Fuel filter
Bulbs 
Fuses
Relays
Coil
HT leads
Red cap rotor arm
12v stabiliser 
Petrol pump 
Spark plugs
Fan belt
Wheel bearing kit

Old distributor (as I have fitted electronic Aldon 123 distributor)

This may seem a lot but most of this stuff fits into a couple of bags and leaves plenty of room in my Spitfire boot for tools and clothes etc. 

Keep in mind I'm not using a Triumph engine.

Tools;

Small selection of imperial and metric spanners

Small selection of imperial and metric through-sockets

7mm, 8mm and 10mm screwdrivers

Small selection of Philips and slotted screwdrivers (some hammer through)

Torch

Knife

Pliers

Sidecutters

Pump pliers

Mole grips

24" breaker for wheel nuts and 21mm socket

12v air compressor

Puncture plug kit

Syringe and pipe

Hammer

Wood

Scissor jack

High-vis coat

Spares;

Spark plugs NGK BKR7E - to be used at next service if not needed

10/60w oil - whatever was left over from the last service

Brake fluid - DOT 5.1, whatever is left in the bottle right now

EP90 - small amount of what is left from last service

Tyre weld

Rain-X

Window cleaner

Plain water - for coolant top-up and washer fluid

Fan belt

Chocolate block

Various short bits of electrical cable and bowden cable

Bulbs

Fuses - spade

Front wheel bearings - just in case and they take up no room

Few clips, hoses and clamps.

Edited by ferny

5 hours ago, Tim Hunt said:

If only that were enough for the 4A over 2,000 miles!

Tim

There was a RBRR just before the engine rebuild where I was topping up with oil with every fuel stop. I think I got through 10 litres of oil on that RBRR!

Thankfully a litre is now enough. 

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I always carry a small tub of assorted odds and ends. Some setscrews (more versatile than bolts) in various sizes, nuts, hose clips, electrical connectors (even 2 scotchloks!) relays, fuses etc. It has got me out of bother several times, and helped others too. 

A couple of meters of wire (like coathanger stuff) which again can be used for allsorts. Superglue, fast araldite, gaffer tape cable ties all take up minimal space and not heavy. Fan belt, rad seal, litre of engine oil, 1/2L brake fluid. Also master cyl seal kits, can be done by the roadside. Some fuel hose, electrical wire, oddments of rad hose PLUS A JOINER. That means most hoses can be repaired one way or another. The only heavy stuff is an alternator (small denso 40A) plus tool kit: Smallish hammer, 3/8 socket set 4x screwdrivers, spanners, pliers, small and large molegrips, folding axle stand and a scissor jack. Multimeter too, or even just a test lamp. Plus a decent torch or better still rechargeable worklight. 

I also carry a bright emergency beacon. About the size of a hocky puck, LED lamps flash etc so handy for dark twisty stretches should there be a "failure to progress"

It all sounds a lot, but even with a gallon of fuel, fits one side of the spare wheel in the spitfire, with a groundsheet on top and level with the wheel. Space a plenty for luggage etc.

One other thing. I carry 2x emergency poncho things. Tiny, but if it chucks it own with rain could be very handy.

But as others have said, it is always comforting to know the car is properly prepped and tested well in advance. The idea of eg brake pads wearing out on the run is dreadful, they should be checked to make sure they have plenty of material on several weeks before the event. Likewise tyres, if in any doubt (tread or age) replace now!

A selection of recent RBRR failure causes:

Stag                                Engine  / Camshaft Timing Issues- DNF.

Stag                                Propshaft UJ failure leading to G/Box damage- DNF.

Dolly Sprint                  Timing Chain Tensioner Failure -  changed at 04.00hrs on day of start.

TR4                                 Wipers Failed: DNF.

Herald/Moss Roadster       Cooling fan failure followed by head  gasket-DNF

Vitesse/Herald/Spitfire       Rear Hub Bearing failure. DNF.

Herald                             Differential failure.

GT6                                Valve Gear oil Starvation causing  clearance issues DNF

Stag                                Master Light Switch :  Repaired by Torchlight.

TR3                                 Broken Exhaust- Beware speed Humps!

2.5 Saloon                     Front  Drag Strut detached from body, bad corrosion!! Welded up and Finished.!

Herald                             Car Heater Failure- uncomfortable!

Spitfire                           Broken Gearchange linkage - Type 9                                         Ford Gearbox

Spitfire                           Gearbox failure - Ford Type 9   NOT the same car!

2.5PI                               Rear Hub Bearing - Swapped at                                                Roadside.

39 minutes ago, Tim Bancroft said:

Herald                             Car Heater Failure- uncomfortable!

That's a bad one, as serious as running out of crisps.

Good luck to you all, I'm sure you'll not need any of the stuff and everyone will finish.

Edited by Rosbif
oops!

I had a cunning plan!  Any breakdown 'north' of Wales, could get recovered to home in Portishead and pick up spare car!  I thought this to be a brilliant idea until my co-driver pointed out that someone might notice that we started in a blue TR7 and finished in a red Stag.  What do you think? Workable?

42 minutes ago, Chadow441 said:

thought this to be a brilliant idea until my co-driver pointed out that someone might notice that we started in a blue TR7 and finished in a red Stag.  What do you think? Workable?

You will be able to get away with it by bluffing them out and imply they have short-term memory loss or are suffering from fatigue or have become colour and shape blind as a result of the fumes from the car in front.

• Like 1